Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new challenge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for a new challenge

Hi there.
    I'm an animal lover, well, "all living things" lover, and I've probably rescued, fostered or owned hundreds of animals in my life time, some common, some very exotic. For the past 7 years or so I've had five saltwater reef tanks running (seahorses, octopus, cuttlefish, corals, etc.) and have recently consolidated a few tanks to downsize. One of the tanks that I've emptied is a very attractive biocube type (totally enclosed, lights, fan, filtration, heat, etc. all built into the back wall or the full cover) and it's in a central part of my home. I'd like to turn that into something attractive and challenging other than a fish tank and was thinking of carnivorous plants. I have very expensive LED lighting in it and wonder if that would be a help or a hindrance to raising carnivorous plants. I know it depends on the colors, the strength, the PAR value, etc. and I don't remember the specifics of the lights off the top of my head but they were certainly more than sufficient to grow saltwater corals of many types.

Anyone had experience using reef tank lighting on these plants? Is this a question I should cut and paste into another section of the forums (since this section probably doesn't get much traffic)?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.
    Sue

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! I'm not too familiar with LED lighting (I'm too much of a technophobe and would rather stick with my cheap amd easy T8s and T5HOs), however, I'm sure that others who are a lot more knowledgeable on the subject would be willingnto help. Maybe @nimbulan would lime to discuss some PAR myths as well.

Anyways, ask around, ans you should eventually what carnivorous plants would do well for you!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonjour

What are the characteristics of your led ? °kelvin , watt , lumen , etc?

jeff

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no expert in lighting, but there are aquatic carnivorous plants you can grow in a fish tank, like U. gibba, U. foliosa, and Aldrovanda vesiculosa.

[IMG][/IMG] U. gibba colony

[IMG][/IMG] U. gibba flower

[IMG][/IMG] Aldrovanda

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose it depends on the color temperature and power of the light. I know a lot of aquarium lights lean strongly towards blue (color temperature around 10,000k) and really aren't suitable for regular plants. Temperate aquatic plants will need very strong light as well.

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven't already done so, determine what temps your tank experiences with the lights on. That will impact what plant options are available to you.

Orchids may be an additional option for you.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments..... glad to see this is such an active forum! I didn't know there were carnivorous water plants - that's interesting, but honestly I'd like to skip the water in this tank for a while. I've got enough water woes with the other tanks.

I'll have to try to dig up the specs on the light but not sure I'll find those - I'll take a better look when I get home from the office. Regarding the temperature of the tank, I always kept it in the 80's due to the inhabitants but I'll put the lights on for a while now that the tank has no water in it and see what it reads.... good suggestion.

Thanks all.
    Sue

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you looking to do a planned tank type of setup or just growing plants in pots in the tank? Would they be getting a drop in temperature at night inside the tank? How's your water (tds if you know)? Things that could work well long term in a tank would be Mexican Pinguicula, Utricularia, some tropical Drosera, and maybe some Nepenthes depending on the size of the tank though you'll eventually have to cut them a bit in a few years

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast