What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Florida

• Thread starter Turtlekit
  • Start date
Hello everyone! I have just started growing carnivorous plants a few months ago, although I have been growing other plants for a while. I currently have three varieties: a 'scarlet belle' sarracenia, a few pinguicula primulaflora (the original plant has sent out plantlets, I will repot those soon!) and a venus flytrap which I rescued from the hardware store. I may not be super active on the forums but I am looking forward to using them some!

Welcome to TF!

Hello everyone! I have just started growing carnivorous plants a few months ago, although I have been growing other plants for a while. I currently have three varieties: a 'scarlet belle' sarracenia, a few pinguicula primulaflora (the original plant has sent out plantlets, I will repot those soon!) and a venus flytrap which I rescued from the hardware store. I may not be super active on the forums but I am looking forward to using them some!
Welcome! Where in Florida are you from?

I'm in North Florida, the city of Jacksonville!

I'm in North Florida, the city of Jacksonville!
Well then you're in the perfect area to grow your plants! With all three of your plants growing at your latitude (if not in your county as well) they'll do great!
Just remember that when you repot them, they don't like most soils and anything from Miracle Grow will eventually kill them. Use Sphagnum peat moss combined with perlite or dried Sphagnum sold as orchid moss (no Mosser Lee stuff)

Well then you're in the perfect area to grow your plants! With all three of your plants growing at your latitude (if not in your county as well) they'll do great!
Just remember that when you repot them, they don't like most soils and anything from Miracle Grow will eventually kill them. Use Sphagnum peat moss combined with perlite or dried Sphagnum sold as orchid moss (no Mosser Lee stuff)

That's excellent!! It's not time to repot them yet, but I've gone ahead and bought large bags of perlite, sphagnm peat moss, and horticultural sand, which will hopefully make for a good soil mix. Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it ^_^

That's excellent!! It's not time to repot them yet, but I've gone ahead and bought large bags of perlite, sphagnm peat moss, and horticultural sand, which will hopefully make for a good soil mix. Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it ^_^
Sounds like you're on the ball! Can't wait to see pics of your plants!

Last edited:
Sounds like you're on the ball! Can't wait to see pics of your plants!

Thanks! I haven't got recent pics of the sarracenia and butterwort yet as they're in dormancy still, but my flytrap recently came out of dormancy and I've got pics of it:
296c3b968f188fdf424de033fae176dc.jpg

ac9a3357c6dedbbf558c8407ff5e12b4.jpg

Back