What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Washington state!

Hello! I'm Kat. I got my first carnivorous plants mid last year and since then I've been "rescuing" VFTs whenever I find them in Home Depot and Lowe's. I am so excited to learn how to care for them, and hopefully expand my collection as well. I'm definitely addicted to strange (but beautiful) plants, as I also have a lot of succulents (I particularly love Lithops). I currently have two cape sundews, some VFTs, a pygmy sundew, a purple pitcher plant, and a terrestrial bladderwort (I've forgotten the name).

I look forward to hanging out here and learning!

:welcome: Welcome, Kat! You aren't the only one who rescues doomed carnivores from neighborhood nursery centers. 'Nice that you found your way here. What part of WA are in? We have monthly get-togethers in Portland every month that you would be welcome to attend if you are close enough.

Haha, I can't help it. They always look so sad in those death cubes! I'm in Central Washington, but I do make it down to Portland at least once per year, so I'll check that out! Thanks!

Welcome! Some friends in the area have toyed with the idea of putting together a Washington meetup but AFAIK it never really took. But we're all out on the west side of the mountains, so that's probably still out of the range of casual drives for you. You can probably grow some great Sarracenia out in your neck of the woods, but depending on elevation you may want to start with the cold-loving ones like purpurea. :)
~Joe

Welcome! Good to have you here.

Welcome! Some friends in the area have toyed with the idea of putting together a Washington meetup but AFAIK it never really took. But we're all out on the west side of the mountains, so that's probably still out of the range of casual drives for you. You can probably grow some great Sarracenia out in your neck of the woods, but depending on elevation you may want to start with the cold-loving ones like purpurea. :)
~Joe

Cool! It's still a bit of a drive, but would still be fun to go. I'm going to try my hand at Sarracenia next I think. I found a purpurea in a death cube at Lowe's and I'm waiting until Spring to plant it in a mini-bog garden type thing with my VFT's.

Welcome Kat! I didn't do the welcome post for myself like I probably should have. Maybe I should go back and do that. But I didn't. The more I read this forum the more confused I get. Are you folks up north planting these in the ground in containers just exactly how are you keeping these plants alive?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Well I'm pretty new to this, but mine are all in containers. They're all inside right now, but in the Spring I want to plant a mini-bog garden in a container that *hopefully* I can transport somewhat easily in case it gets too cold or I move or something.

Last edited:
If you make it down to Portland for the meets you can get pretty much any CP question answered. *Any* question. Or at least a rain check for an answer in the future.

Also the trades/giveaways that happen out of the blue in Portland are ridiculously good. Just saying.

Welcome to the addictive world of cp collection, you're pleasantly doomed :)

Back