What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to cps

Hi my name is Marlana, for years I've mainly grown orchids. Mostly mini orchids in terrariums. Recently a friend traded me some cps for orchids. Now I'm pretty much obsessed with Cephalotus... I know I know, not the best to start with. But I didn't start with the easiest orchids either [emoji23] I have odd taste and many 'easy orchids' don't interest me. I've scanned the forum a lot in the past couple months and gained some great info. Just wanted to introduce myself, look forward to getting to know you all!
77ab5c3b612ce1f9864404cc1fca0b77.jpg

Seed grown ceph
9ff1d738b0d4ffc6ba20377134406030.jpg

Charles brewer plant
b81155f1ed48393b79f6f6be1517f2c4.jpg

Getting some sun

I also have Emu's point and Hummers giant but they are tiny. Currently on the hunt for squat...which is probably my favorite clone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. Your cephs look very well grown, especially for someone new to carnivorous plants.

Well I can't take credit [emoji23] they have only been with me for a few months. They seem to be doing alright though.

I could use some advice on my sundew. It's not looking very happy...
7b0a32f6211adadb82a8a2149d18c6c9.jpg

This is a partial guess, so please take it as one. It looks to me as though it may have been getting a lot of light but is more used to lower light levels. Most sundews like a lot of light but when moving them out of dim lighting it needs to be done gradually or the leaves may burn. Is this possible? Other things that occur to me are that it has perhaps dried out at times. What are your growing conditions (light, water, soil, temperatures) like?

This is a partial guess, so please take it as one. It looks to me as though it may have been getting a lot of light but is more used to lower light levels. Most sundews like a lot of light but when moving them out of dim lighting it needs to be done gradually or the leaves may burn. Is this possible? Other things that occur to me are that it has perhaps dried out at times. What are your growing conditions (light, water, soil, temperatures) like?

Thanks for the reply. Well it's in a north window which get bright light because of reflective light but I wouldn't call it high light. No direct sun at all. It could definitely have gotten too dry...I'm not really sure how much they need so I've been giving it about the same as the cephs. Temps are about 70F during the day and 63F at night. It's in straight peat but I did just finally get sand so I could definitely change it. RH is between 50-60%.

Thanks for the reply. Well it's in a north window which get bright light because of reflective light but I wouldn't call it high light. No direct sun at all. It could definitely have gotten too dry...I'm not really sure how much they need so I've been giving it about the same as the cephs. Temps are about 70F during the day and 63F at night. It's in straight peat but I did just finally get sand so I could definitely change it. RH is between 50-60%.

I would bet the plant is suffering from lack of light. The vast majority of sundews are full sun plants and will suffer if not provided with lots of light. They will not be able to survive in north-facing windows for any extended period of time. Get it more light ASAP but don't adjust it too quickly.

too me it looks like that plant is scotch dry needs water especially since it has no dew

I'll give it more water and light. Thanks. I got it not too and long ago and was under the impression it should be at low light until it recovers...problem is it never did and it's put out new leaves. They just end up looking bad like the others in days. So I never did try to move it to a southern window. I'll start acclimating it to more light tomorrow.

How much more water does it need than a Cephalotus?

I grow my sundews under lights I have them under a water tray but u could water them any way

Last edited:
I generally grow my sundews in standing water in shallow trays but you can just water them at least daily if they do not dry out in between. You might find this useful: International Carnivorous Plant Society

I generally grow my sundews in standing water in shallow trays but you can just water them at least daily if they do not dry out in between. You might find this useful: International Carnivorous Plant Society

Thank you! It's next to a south window now(but not in direct sun yet). I'll try to find some trays that will fit in my windowsill. I can move it under LED but I'd prefer not to. One of the appeals for me was being able to grow and display them on windowsills. Since all my mini orchids have to be grown in terrariums.

Always distilled wAter

Back