Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to cps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to cps

Hi my name is Marlana, for years I've mainly grown orchids. Mostly mini orchids in terrariums. Recently a friend traded me some cps for orchids. Now I'm pretty much obsessed with Cephalotus... I know I know, not the best to start with. But I didn't start with the easiest orchids either New to cps I have odd taste and many 'easy orchids' don't interest me. I've scanned the forum a lot in the past couple months and gained some great info. Just wanted to introduce myself, look forward to getting to know you all!

Seed grown ceph

Charles brewer plant

Getting some sun

I also have Emu's point and Hummers giant but they are tiny. Currently on the hunt for squat...which is probably my favorite clone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. Your cephs look very well grown, especially for someone new to carnivorous plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I can't take credit New to cps they have only been with me for a few months. They seem to be doing alright though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could use some advice on my sundew. It's not looking very happy...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a partial guess, so please take it as one. It looks to me as though it may have been getting a lot of light but is more used to lower light levels. Most sundews like a lot of light but when moving them out of dim lighting it needs to be done gradually or the leaves may burn. Is this possible? Other things that occur to me are that it has perhaps dried out at times. What are your growing conditions (light, water, soil, temperatures) like?
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    This is a partial guess, so please take it as one. It looks to me as though it may have been getting a lot of light but is more used to lower light levels. Most sundews like a lot of light but when moving them out of dim lighting it needs to be done gradually or the leaves may burn. Is this possible? Other things that occur to me are that it has perhaps dried out at times. What are your growing conditions (light, water, soil, temperatures) like?
    Thanks for the reply. Well it's in a north window which get bright light because of reflective light but I wouldn't call it high light. No direct sun at all. It could definitely have gotten too dry...I'm not really sure how much they need so I've been giving it about the same as the cephs. Temps are about 70F during the day and 63F at night. It's in straight peat but I did just finally get sand so I could definitely change it. RH is between 50-60%.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Terraforums!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mballard3513 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Well it's in a north window which get bright light because of reflective light but I wouldn't call it high light. No direct sun at all. It could definitely have gotten too dry...I'm not really sure how much they need so I've been giving it about the same as the cephs. Temps are about 70F during the day and 63F at night. It's in straight peat but I did just finally get sand so I could definitely change it. RH is between 50-60%.

I would bet the plant is suffering from lack of light. The vast majority of sundews are full sun plants and will suffer if not provided with lots of light. They will not be able to survive in north-facing windows for any extended period of time. Get it more light ASAP but don't adjust it too quickly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    too me it looks like that plant is scotch dry needs water especially since it has no dew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give it more water and light. Thanks. I got it not too and long ago and was under the impression it should be at low light until it recovers...problem is it never did and it's put out new leaves. They just end up looking bad like the others in days. So I never did try to move it to a southern window. I'll start acclimating it to more light tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast