What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Poland!

• Thread starter HealthCare
  • Start date
Hello! My name is Michał (Michael in English), I'm from Poland. I've been growing carnivorous plants for more than 3 years, my first one was Drosera capensis, the easiest one. :)
Unfortunately I don't have a terrarium so I'm unable to grow Heliamphora or any sophisticated tropical pitcher plants. All plants I own are kept on the windowsill (or, better said, windowsills), now I'm waiting for spring and summer for more light and higher temperatures. Apart from sundews and Nepenthes, I also grow a few kinds of Sarracenia and Venus flytraps.
Last week I was so bored that I opened a YouTube channel ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD3_Yi06QNXUdeO7kvJPk6Q?view_as=subscriber ) where I want to show some CPs videos - from time to time.

And in real life I'm a chemist. :)

mucho?ówka.jpg

Drosera capensis.jpg

dzbaneczniki.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to Terra Forums, Michal. :welcome: 'Sounds like a good start and I see you grow Nepenthes as well as temperate species of carnivorous plants. I don't doubt that your collection will continue to grow. Window sills can contain some wonderful things.

Thank you :)

Of course I grow all my temperate species outside, for the moment my North American pitcher plants (Sarracenia leucophylla, Sarracenia 'Juthaip Soper', Sarracenia psittacina, Sarracenia farnhamii, sarracenia purpurea, Sarracenia flava) are the biggest part of my collection, I love them. I hope that one day I'll have an opportunity to see them in nature, in the USA.
Now I'm trying to grow them from seeds for the first time. Unluckily the weather in Poland is now surprisingly warm (5-10*C) so I don't know if the temperature isn't too high for stratification. We will see!

sarracenia_seeds.jpg

Welcome! Are you growing the Venus Flytrap outside with the Sarrs or indoors with the Nepenthes?

Welcome. That sounds like a good collection of sarracenia. I'd say that your winter temperatures should be ok for stratification, it certainly can get that warm in sarracenia habit during some winters.

I keep my Venus Flytraps with Sarracenias. 3 years ago, when I bought my first VF, I used to keep it on my windowsill with a Drosera capensis. Moreover, I allowed it to flower in December. As you might guess, it led the VF very close to death. Since that time I decided not to fight with nature and vegetation cycle and I've been growing all my Sarracenias and Venus Flytraps outside.
I also have a Cephalotus but I've been keeping it on my windowsill for 2 years without winter dormancy. I'm not sure if it should have been done or not, some people say that it's ok to grow it at room temperature all the time. Maybe this winter I'll try it for the first time, I've never seen Cephalotus' flowers :)

Back