What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mistake

• Thread starter Mobious
  • Start date
I think I made a mistake starting this hobby. I planted 250 seeds of various types and only 14 sundews germinated and I put those in the sun and killed them. From what I've read people say they are easy to grow, I believe they lied!!!

Ahhnold said that in a movie. What was mentioned about cp's being easy is growing them...plants. From seeds, no so much so. Some yes, some no. But why not ask for some starter plants, particularly if you have something worthy to trade with/for? Many folks here have massive collections mostly from trades. There is also a place to purchase from members, and from Andy, so your call, dude.

From what I've read people say they are easy to grow, I believe they lied!!!

Not at all!

They're easy to grow provided you have some idea about what you're doing. :p

I have grown a lot of different plants and trees in fact I have even made outdoor cactus gardens where they stay out all winter and do fine here in upstate new York. But these things are a horse I'll of another color.

Carnivorous seed are easy to grow, they just require particular care. Experience with other plants is helpful but does not necessarily directly translate. A lot of common practices in gardening are not needed or are harmful to carnivorous plants. Some of the issues that you faced are easily explainable. The very low germination you saw is probably due to old seed. This is likely if you got your seed online. Adding to that some species require additional treatment to prime them for germination. As for all your seedlings dying you did put them into the sun. At that size it doesn't take much to fry them. Acclimation is important.

Carnivorous seed are easy to grow, they just require particular care. Experience with other plants is helpful but does not necessarily directly translate. A lot of common practices in gardening are not needed or are harmful to carnivorous plants. Some of the issues that you faced are easily explainable. The very low germination you saw is probably due to old seed. This is likely if you got your seed online. Adding to that some species require additional treatment to prime them for germination. As for all your seedlings dying you did put them into the sun. At that size it doesn't take much to fry them. Acclimation is important.

If I do get some that germinate and have to go through dormancy will they be to small? And if they are will putting them in the house on the east window sill be ok?

If I do get some that germinate and have to go through dormancy will they be to small? And if they are will putting them in the house on the east window sill be ok?

I bought the seeds from carnivorous plant nursery.com out of Maryland. Have you heard of them and if so are they reputable?

Which seed did you purchase and what treatment did you give them before you sowed?

In habitat seedlings have exactly the same conditions as the mature plants.

Dormancy is a perfectly natural state for plants, it's nothing to be afraid of. Your east window is an unknown for climate, we would require more information to give a reasonable answer.

Last edited:
Which seed did you purchase and what treatment did you give them before you sowed?

In habitat seedlings have exactly the same conditions as the mature plants.

Dormancy is a perfectly natural state for plants, it's nothing to be afraid of. Your east window is an unknown for climate, we would require more information to give a reasonable answer.

I bought 25 seeds of each;
Thread Leaf sundew
Red Thread Leaf sundew
Alice's Sundew
Round leaf sundew
White top Pitcher
Cobra Lily
Yellow Pitcher
purple Pitcher
Hooded Pitcher
Venus Fly Trap
And of course you know about the Cape Sundew (which 14 germinated) and I killed.
I did, no stratification, I just sowed them 3 or 4 days after they showed up.
oh and I used Josh Frogs CP soil

Last edited:

That is why I joined this forum to learn from the people who know best.
I had pitcher plants when I lived in Wallkill 12 years ago and I had a venus fly trap when I was a kid.
it looks like I have a pitcher plant that germinated, maybe in the next few weeks more might start to pop up?

More questions I'm afraid.

When did you sow them?
What is your water regime?

I bought 25 seeds of each;
Thread Leaf sundew
Red Thread Leaf sundew
Alice's Sundew
Round leaf sundew
White top Pitcher
Cobra Lily
Yellow Pitcher
purple Pitcher
Hooded Pitcher
Venus Fly Trap
And of course you know about the Cape Sundew (which 14 germinated) and I killed.
I did, no stratification, I just sowed them 3 or 4 days after they showed up.
oh and I used Josh Frogs CP soil

Of those that you ordered the round leaf sundew, white top pitcher, cobra lily, yellow pitcher, purple pitcher, and hooded pitcher all require pretreatment of the seed. Specifically, they need a cold, wet period call stratification that simulates winter. This primes the seed for germination. Without it you'll have much lower germination rates.

Of those that you ordered the round leaf sundew, white top pitcher, cobra lily, yellow pitcher, purple pitcher, and hooded pitcher all require pretreatment of the seed. Specifically, they need a cold, wet period call stratification that simulates winter. This primes the seed for germination. Without it you'll have much lower germination rates.

Ok I thought they dropped their seeds in the spring like the VFT So those must drop their seeds in the fall?
So if I keep them wet and put them in the garage this winter and back outside in the spring, do you think I might get some more to germinate or will they be to old?

Last edited:
More questions I'm afraid.

When did you sow them?
What is your water regime?

I sowed them in Feb. and while they were in the house I keep them in 1/2 inch pan of distilled water and now that they are outside I use distilled water in between the rain storms, they never dry out.

As GM says, many of those seeds would be better with stratification. You may still get germination with unstratified fresh seed but that may be sporradic at best.

I'd aim for a higher water level than you have. A couple of inches would be nearer the mark. Remember these seeds in habitat will be germinating when there's plenty of water in the ground (spring).

Interesting that you say VFTs drop their seed in spring. I always harvest and sow mine in autumn (fall). They're still in full flower at the moment.

As GM says, many of those seeds would be better with stratification. You may still get germination with unstratified fresh seed but that may be sporradic at best.

I'd aim for a higher water level than you have. A couple of inches would be nearer the mark. Remember these seeds in habitat will be germinating when there's plenty of water in the ground (spring).

Interesting that you say VFTs drop their seed in spring. I always harvest and sow mine in autumn (fall). They're still in full flower at the moment.

I had read on another site that the VFT's drop their seeds in the spring. I can tell you one thing for sure and that is that a lot of these so called experts are not very reliable. That is why I joined this forum to learn from people with first hand experience.

Last edited:
Back