What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from CT

• Thread starter tdubs
  • Start date
Like a few other folks here, I'm just getting back into this after a few years. I'm easing back into it with a nice healthy Nepenthes Ventricosa; random find at a garden center that reminded me how much I enjoyed growing CP's. It enjoyed a very hot and rainy Connecticut summer hanging in the vegetable garden, gorging itself on all kinds of insects and loading up on yellowjackets and wasps in early fall. I brought it in and got a small grow tent and a full spectrum LED and it seems to be thriving, along with a few Tulsi plants and a VFT that my wife picked up at a local grocery store this week.

One thing I'm hoping to learn here is how to do winter dormancy correctly (finally). I love growing Sarracenia but I haven't been able to go more than a couple of years without an eventual fail. Obviously something I'm doing wrong. I'm going to do some diligence here during the upcoming winter, order some Sarrs in the spring and try to do a right proper bog garden. I'm going to start by trying to successfully overwinter this little Flytrap. Baby steps....

Random info - We're in Southern CT, involved in dog rescue, and we have a pack of small, flat-faced dogs that rule over us day & night.

Welcome!
I sent a note to a friend [MENTION=12314]CoolCapensis[/MENTION] that lives up in Massachusetts to see if he could help you out with some information specific to your area.
Andrew

Welcome. I'm in the NE corner of CT. I did my dormancy in the basement last year and everything did quite well. I picked up a timer that turns on/off with sunrise/set. keped them damp but not wet. My basment satays around 40ish.

Hi! I overwinter in an unheated garage where the temp easily stays below 50 degrees and that has worked for me. If we have some days where the temp stays above freezing I will move flytraps outside for some additional sun and then take them back in

Like a few other folks here, I'm just getting back into this after a few years. I'm easing back into it with a nice healthy Nepenthes Ventricosa; random find at a garden center that reminded me how much I enjoyed growing CP's. It enjoyed a very hot and rainy Connecticut summer hanging in the vegetable garden, gorging itself on all kinds of insects and loading up on yellowjackets and wasps in early fall. I brought it in and got a small grow tent and a full spectrum LED and it seems to be thriving, along with a few Tulsi plants and a VFT that my wife picked up at a local grocery store this week.

One thing I'm hoping to learn here is how to do winter dormancy correctly (finally). I love growing Sarracenia but I haven't been able to go more than a couple of years without an eventual fail. Obviously something I'm doing wrong. I'm going to do some diligence here during the upcoming winter, order some Sarrs in the spring and try to do a right proper bog garden. I'm going to start by trying to successfully overwinter this little Flytrap. Baby steps....

Random info - We're in Southern CT, involved in dog rescue, and we have a pack of small, flat-faced dogs that rule over us day & night.

Hello, I am also in southern CT, and have successfully overwintered many Sars simply by sticking their pots up against the side of my house, which gives them a bit of a wind break and maybe a couple extra degrees of heat as some warm air escapes my home.

Also, if you're ever looking to expand let me know, as I've always got some extra Pings/Drosera

-Adam

Thank you for the warm welcome and the tips. Both are very much appreciated. I'd really like to have these things longer than a year or two. Since today was chilly and rainy, I sat it outside for a bit and moved it into an unheated porch. Its looking like we're not going to have another frost for a little while, so I'm hoping that it will pick up on the change of season and begin the dormancy process. I've read enough posts to realize that the grow tent is definitely not where it wants to be right now. I've also seen many posts strongly suggest using a fungicide - makes me wonder if that's where I've gone wrong in the past. I think my best bet will be the basement, next to a window to keep it cool. It's not going to get a lot of light but i'm reading that may not be a show stopper.

Anyway, this is an extremely cool place with lots of knowledgeable and interesting people. I'm glad I found my way back to this interest and this forum. I work in Tech, mostly crunching code. Lots and lots of code. I find it really helpful to always have something green going on, especially during the winter. Ultimately I would like to level up to some of the more challenging CP's but I have a way to go before I get there. I'm looking forward to getting some good learning on during the months ahead and I appreciate all of the great info and helpful folks.
[MENTION=12941]heywhathuh[/MENTION] - Many thanks for the offer. I'll definitely be looking to expand in the not too distant future. That would be awesome. I was actually going to buy a ping and a sundew to help pick off fruitflies in the grow tent. I think they could live well in there.

Back