What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP noob in Eugene Oregon

This past summer I impulsively bought a couple of drosera binatas from a local nursery and then, maybe a month later, stumbled across some butterworts and some very sorry-looking "sundews" shoved in a corner in another nursery and that was apparently all the exposure I needed to develop a full-blown addiction. I now have a defunct sink sitting in my front yard with sarracenia pupurea, darlingtonia and five different leucopylla-type varieties sitting in moss and rain water, while the desk in my bedroom has been taken over by tropical pings, various sundews, three different nepenthes, utricularia calcyfida and a tiny heliamphora minor that came to me pretty banged up and which has not fared any better under my care. Of all of these, the nepenthes are hands down the happiest with my set-up (the sarracenias and cobra lillies also seem pretty healthy, but I really can't take credit for the microclimate of my yard). The bladderworts are also doing well, and the pings are growing a lot--which worries me, since they should be staring to go dormant, right? But the despair of my heart are those sundews--with a few exceptions, including the two that started me down this road, they are dewless, and slowly but surely are losing their leaves!

I have some experience with plants, having grown stuff since I was a child, but my previous experience isn't all that useful with CPs, I'm finding. I'm really hoping to learn from others, in particular from folks living in the Willamette Valley.

Welcome, if you do live in Eugene there is a carnivorous plant society that meets regularly around there.

Welcome to TF! :welcome: Wow, that is quite a large collection for someone who is new to growing cp's!

We do have a Portland area carnivorous plant meeting group that meets without fail every second Saturday of the month in the Hollywood district of Portland. More here: https://www.terraforums.com/forums/forum152/ The first thread describes where and when we meet and the rest is history. If you should decide to make the drive from Eugene you would be most welcome.

Welcome to TF! :welcome: Wow, that is quite a large collection for someone who is new to growing cp's!

We do have a Portland area carnivorous plant meeting group that meets without fail every second Saturday of the month in the Hollywood district of Portland. More here: https://www.terraforums.com/forums/forum152/ The first thread describes where and when we meet and the rest is history. If you should decide to make the drive from Eugene you would be most welcome.

Hi, bluemax!

Yes, I'm planning on making this month's Portland meetup (I'm on the FB group). Perhaps I'll see you there.

It IS a pretty extensive collection. Once I made a decision to invest in a growlight set up, I figured I might as well get my money's worth out of it...or something. I'm having fun, so far, although still struggling with some of these sundews. Why don't they like me? Arrgh!

It was very nice meeting you on Saturday! I hope you had fun and found some ideas that were useful from talking to others.

It was very nice meeting you on Saturday! I hope you had fun and found some ideas that were useful from talking to others.

Nice meeting you, too! I definitely learned some things. Here is my new set up and pics of two droseras that aren't doing terribly. I have gotto an LED light and a clamp for it, which I'll set up in a few days.

IMG_3119.jpg
IMG_3107.jpg
IMG_3105.jpg

Nice meeting you, too! I definitely learned some things. Here is my new set up and pics of two droseras that aren't doing terribly. I have gotto an LED light and a clamp for it, which I'll set up in a few days.

View attachment 4455
View attachment 4456
View attachment 4457

Whoops! The change to my setup is that I lowered the light by 3" and also got rid of the jars (mostly) and set everything on a tray filled with pebbles and some sphagnum moss and water to encourage humidity. The humidity of the table has gone from 45-50% to around 55-65% percent, which I'm a little concerned about, as far as the wall behind it goes, but we'll see how it plays out. Hopefully the plants are happier, anyway.

I would be interested in hearing how things turn out. :)

Welcome from me too, Zind! Welcome to the forums and to the addiction! :D

Definitely looks likes some Drosera that are starving for some great light. I will be interested to see how they fare under your new lights. You will know really quickly when a new leaf or two have come in and the tendrils show red color instead of white/clear coloring.

Check out my tiny D. binata hitchhiker plant as an example.

My older leaf was in the old setup with too little light a few weeks ago and it was pale. Forgive the focus, it was in an awkward position to get it nicer than that at the moment.

IMG_6805_zpsupjclhfb.jpg

Then look how the NEW leaf has brilliant red tendrils already!

IMG_6806_zpsrlw2t8n5.jpg

The whole plant will get nice and red eventually. The new setup I have is definitely offering the light they should enjoy and like you we just gotta keep watching and see how they fare and add more as needed!

If you ever want to read some good info on growing Sundews indoors, I really like Aaron's work on this site: http://www.growsundews.com/

Best of luck!

Latest set-up

I would be interested in hearing how things turn out. :)

Hi, bluemax:

In case you're still interested, it's now been a month since my last change to my grow set up. I have a 35$ tented shelf from Target (in retrospect, I would buy a baker's shelf or something else and figure out the tenting myself. It wouldn't be cheaper, but probably sturdier). I now have the two two shelves going with plants. The carnivores live on the top shelf about three-six inches from two HO T5 lights. Gone are the jars and cloches--almost everything sits on a tray with leca beads (just cause I have them available) to encourage rapid evaporation of the water for humidity and I guess maybe to reduce stagnation? I don't know. The sundews absolutely love this set-up and all are doing really well. In particular, by binata and dichotoma are now so sticky that I have to be really careful moving around them because they will latch onto anything.

My nepenthes, unfortunately, were not so happy. In particular, the N. sanguinea just stopped growing. Then one day I noticed that its top leaves were almost completely red. I moved it off the tray to the side of the lights and it has immediately shifted back into grow-mode, including opening to old, seemingly-aborted pitchers that had stalled out back in December. The N. ampullaria hybrid and the N. 'Rokko' hybrid were also unhappy at first, but actually just needed an adjustment period with no changes and are now both producing new growth and gobbling down flies.

Perhaps the best part of this change, though, is that I maybe actively care for these plants once every couple of weeks (I do try to chekc them out everyday). I was sorry to hide them all away in this shelf were I can't really see them, but on the other hand, when I do look in at them, they are so gorgeous and happy and I no longer feel a nagging concern that I should be doing something for them all the time, so 100% worth it!
IMG_4882.jpg
Thanks again for the advice! IMG_4882.jpg

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Odysseus!

Yes, my drosera wasted no time letting me know how they feel about more light lol!

I can't upload any photos at the cafe I'm at, so will wait till I go home, but, basically, every plant (except the D. scorpiodes) has developed some red on it. They are also more dewey--even the ones that were doing fine, before--and there is just a lot more growth.

Welcome from me too, Zind! Welcome to the forums and to the addiction! :D

Definitely looks likes some Drosera that are starving for some great light. I will be interested to see how they fare under your new lights. You will know really quickly when a new leaf or two have come in and the tendrils show red color instead of white/clear coloring.

Check out my tiny D. binata hitchhiker plant as an example.

My older leaf was in the old setup with too little light a few weeks ago and it was pale. Forgive the focus, it was in an awkward position to get it nicer than that at the moment.

IMG_6805_zpsupjclhfb.jpg

Then look how the NEW leaf has brilliant red tendrils already!

IMG_6806_zpsrlw2t8n5.jpg

The whole plant will get nice and red eventually. The new setup I have is definitely offering the light they should enjoy and like you we just gotta keep watching and see how they fare and add more as needed!

If you ever want to read some good info on growing Sundews indoors, I really like Aaron's work on this site: http://www.growsundews.com/

Best of luck!

Happy to hear it! I think often for those of us who have grown house plants for years it is hard to grasp just how much light the average sundew needs to be happy - especially if you have supply it artificially. Enough to fry an African violet, for example. I have seen N. ampullaria adapt to high light levels but they seem happier with more moderate ones. I suppose that part of the fun is figuring out what needs to be done and then getting the results you want.

Excited to see the pictures you can upload when you get a chance!

Zindaginha said:
...I was sorry to hide them all away in this shelf were I can't really see them...
Too bad your shelves are away from easy viewing! I grow mine in an open air with the tray method for watering. It is VERY satisfying to see my plants often :D If you can do it, I say get a 5-tier shelf setup somewhere you are allowed to do it without annoying others in your home and you will love it! :D

Some pics of my setup:
Setup_MainRackLeftSide.jpg

Setup_AboveLightsTop2Racks.jpg

Sorry for the camera and tripod in the way in this shot. It is my best shot that is recent of most of the setup. I gotta take a better one tomorrow when the lights are back on.
Setup_Bottom3RackswithCamera.jpg

Nice set-up, Odysseus! Mine is actually similar, but with the humidity tent (which my cat ripped open a few days ago).

I still can't upload photos. It's not my internet, since I am now trying on a third network. I don't know what it is. Here's a link to a photo I added to my Pinterest account.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/448741550370166760/

Excited to see the pictures you can upload when you get a chance!

Too bad your shelves are away from easy viewing! I grow mine in an open air with the tray method for watering. It is VERY satisfying to see my plants often :D If you can do it, I say get a 5-tier shelf setup somewhere you are allowed to do it without annoying others in your home and you will love it! :D

Some pics of my setup:
Setup_MainRackLeftSide.jpg

Setup_AboveLightsTop2Racks.jpg

Sorry for the camera and tripod in the way in this shot. It is my best shot that is recent of most of the setup. I gotta take a better one tomorrow when the lights are back on.
Setup_Bottom3RackswithCamera.jpg

Back