Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: CP noob in Eugene Oregon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CP noob in Eugene Oregon

This past summer I impulsively bought a couple of drosera binatas from a local nursery and then, maybe a month later, stumbled across some butterworts and some very sorry-looking "sundews" shoved in a corner in another nursery and that was apparently all the exposure I needed to develop a full-blown addiction. I now have a defunct sink sitting in my front yard with sarracenia pupurea, darlingtonia and five different leucopylla-type varieties sitting in moss and rain water, while the desk in my bedroom has been taken over by tropical pings, various sundews, three different nepenthes, utricularia calcyfida and a tiny heliamphora minor that came to me pretty banged up and which has not fared any better under my care. Of all of these, the nepenthes are hands down the happiest with my set-up (the sarracenias and cobra lillies also seem pretty healthy, but I really can't take credit for the microclimate of my yard). The bladderworts are also doing well, and the pings are growing a lot--which worries me, since they should be staring to go dormant, right? But the despair of my heart are those sundews--with a few exceptions, including the two that started me down this road, they are dewless, and slowly but surely are losing their leaves!

I have some experience with plants, having grown stuff since I was a child, but my previous experience isn't all that useful with CPs, I'm finding. I'm really hoping to learn from others, in particular from folks living in the Willamette Valley.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, if you do live in Eugene there is a carnivorous plant society that meets regularly around there.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF! Wow, that is quite a large collection for someone who is new to growing cp's!

We do have a Portland area carnivorous plant meeting group that meets without fail every second Saturday of the month in the Hollywood district of Portland. More here: https://www.terraforums.com/forums/forum152/ The first thread describes where and when we meet and the rest is history. If you should decide to make the drive from Eugene you would be most welcome.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    Welcome to TF! Wow, that is quite a large collection for someone who is new to growing cp's!

We do have a Portland area carnivorous plant meeting group that meets without fail every second Saturday of the month in the Hollywood district of Portland. More here: https://www.terraforums.com/forums/forum152/ The first thread describes where and when we meet and the rest is history. If you should decide to make the drive from Eugene you would be most welcome.
    Hi, bluemax!

Yes, I'm planning on making this month's Portland meetup (I'm on the FB group). Perhaps I'll see you there.

It IS a pretty extensive collection. Once I made a decision to invest in a growlight set up, I figured I might as well get my money's worth out of it...or something. I'm having fun, so far, although still struggling with some of these sundews. Why don't they like me? Arrgh!