What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NW Arkansas Semi-newbie

• Thread starter dbarron
  • Start date
Like everyone else, I have tried (unsuccessfully) VFTs when I was a kid. I don't believe I've ever tried one since I got serious (adulthood). I have done sundews successfully, but then everyone calls them weeds, right?
I've a degree in Horticulture and (more importantly) have been gardening for more than forty years. I've done almost everything, and it seems time to loop back around to CP. Surely if I can flower orchids repeatedly, I can grow CPs...err right? :)
Today, visions of VFTs, sundews, and pings were dancing in my head. I'm debating whether I should wait till spring time or just jump in with both feet now? Thoughts? (I mean it is winter. Though it looks like if I ordered next week, the week after should be more moderately temperate and safer for shipping)

Welcome to the hobby. It's one that rewarding to get into at any point. Being in Arkansas you have a pretty good climate to grow flytraps and other North American carnivorous plants.

welcome :) buying plants like VFTs and american pitcher plants while dormant can get you better deals. Between having tracking numbers to know delivery date and heat packs many sellers put inside the boxes you should be able to get the plants delivered to you safely even in the winter.

i have been growing VFTs for a few years in pots but I haven't managed to keep them all alive each winter. always seems like I let them get too wet or too dry and lose a few. maybe thats a "me" problem hah

Learning by doing

Nothing like learning by doing. I tend to be the type that tries to check the status of plants oh..at least once a day. Sometimes multiple visits, even if I don't talk to them ;0
Hmm, thanks for the encouragement. I was looking at some ping photos posted here since posting this thread...amazing. I like the leaves of several of them, and plan on the mexican tropicals with their succulent vs carnivorous habit and those fantastic flowers.
I hadn't even considered I would want to grow pings till yesterday...so...wow.
Umm, and now I ordered a vft 'King Edward', drosera spatulata, and a pinguicula x marciano. You guys have done well :)

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem buying them now- I send plants all over the USA with and without heat packs and only have issues if someone decides to leave them in the mailbox for the day (or 3) but that's an issue in summer too. Get them out right away and you should be find almost always. Only issue is vfts/Sarracenia will be dormant so not much to watch them do for a couple months. But to have them adapted for your area and come out of dormancy as appropriate for that area gives the best growth possible for that year, I think.
Andrew

Plants arrived in absolutely pristine condition.
They're all clustered with multiple growths, the drosera and the ping are both budded to flower very soon.
It's been at least 10 years since I had a sundew, and I had forgotten how small all these CPs are...they look almost lost in the 2 1/2 pots they shipped in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back