What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings from Australia

• Thread starter kiranoukev
  • Start date
Hi everyone.

I've just joined the forum.

A while ago, I lived in Darwin in the north of Australia for about 15 years. Within a quick drive of Darwin can be found the Drosera petiolaris complex (D. petiolaris, D. falconeri, etc.), Byblis liniflora, Aldrovanda vesiculosa and a number of species of Utricularia.

While there, I attempted to cultivate Nepenthes. The difficulty was that although Darwin is in the tropics, it has a very dry Dry Season (from sitting atop a very dry continent).

I was able to take a number of photos of Drosera growing in the wild and thought it would be nice to share these with interested growers (I've attached a sample pic to this post).

Since then I have moved back south to Victoria (temperate climate). There are some local Drosera here (tuberous, I think) and I'll try to get some pictures once summer is over.

kiranoukev

Cheers,

Drosera_0017.jpg

Nice to meet you, do you currently grow any plants on your property or just enjoy finding them in their natural habitats? i always enjoy seeing CPs in the wild :)

Nice to meet you, do you currently grow any plants on your property or just enjoy finding them in their natural habitats? i always enjoy seeing CPs in the wild :)

Currently, I'm growing only VFTs and a few easy to grow Drosera. There are patches to Drosera whittakeri across the road. It's the end of summer here, so they're nowhere to be seen. Attached is a photo taken in August (late winter here).D whittakeri-1.jpg

I'd like to get a greenhouse and grow Nepenthes again.

Regards

kiranoukev

Wish I had wild CPs so close to my home, there are a few places I know of within driving distance that have Sarracenia purpurea and Drosera rotundifolia. I hope you will share more photos as they wake up from their summer sleep

:welcome: Very cool to see some wild plants! Thanks for taking the time to post them!

Back