User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  4
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to growing with very little information. Excited to be here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to growing with very little information. Excited to be here!

Hey guys my names Ally, I'm from British Columbia, Canada. It all started when I went into this shop I had never been in before and I saw they had venus fly traps! So of course I had to get one, then next time i went in to see what else they had they had gotten some tropical pitcher plants, I also had to take one of those beauties home but unfortunately they didnt come with much information besides that they like rain water or distilled water.

I have no idea what species of pitcher plant I have but it seems to be doing well, as the pitchers keep getting bigger. I'm hoping some of you experts could identify this little guy for me so I can further research care for my plant so it can thrive, not just survive!

Thanks in advance!
    -Ally

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome to the forum! I'm relatively new here as well but, to me, that look a lot like N. Maxima x Veitchii?? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    In any case, this hobby quickly becomes a new addiction for many of us, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!

Watch out for this place... after just a few months you'll need a second home just to store all of your Nepenthes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! I'm excited to be here and learn more about these fascinating plants!
    One question I do have is can they over feed? I only fed my plant once after I got it, and I've noticed that 2 pitchers have a few flys in them, do they just digest as needed? Or should I be worried my plant is over feeding?? Its been doing a really good job at keeping the flys out of my house but I've noticed the juices in the 2 pitchers are much darker than the others

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures of when I first got this plant in april - they have gotten so much bigger!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking plant! I wouldn't worry too much about the plant overfeeding through natural means. If a pitcher is overfed it'll tend to shrivel and drop off to be replaced by a new pitcher on another leaf. If it's catching a ton of bugs, just make sure you don't augment with your own feeding (i.e. by using betta fish pellets, which is how I used to feed my indoor Neps).

One thing: I notice the plant is outside in full sun. Not sure if that's where you intend to keep it, but Neps can get pretty offended at full-on direct sunlight. They tend to prefer very bright partial shade to filtered direct light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your quick response! I dont usually keep my plants outside I just put them outside for a few minutes to take some pictures, they get indirect sunlight all day in the window sill I keep them in

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another easy way to feed them if they don't have the opportunity to feed themselves is frozen blood worms (local pet store purchase). Just put a bit in distilled water and then I use a pipette to drop just a few in a couple of pitchers of each plant. They don't need feeding much or often so doing it more than every 2 - 4 weeks would be a waste

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast