What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to growing with very little information. Excited to be here!

Hey guys my names Ally, I'm from British Columbia, Canada. It all started when I went into this shop I had never been in before and I saw they had venus fly traps! So of course I had to get one, then next time i went in to see what else they had they had gotten some tropical pitcher plants, I also had to take one of those beauties home but unfortunately they didnt come with much information besides that they like rain water or distilled water.

I have no idea what species of pitcher plant I have but it seems to be doing well, as the pitchers keep getting bigger. I'm hoping some of you experts could identify this little guy for me so I can further research care for my plant so it can thrive, not just survive!

Thanks in advance!
-Ally
4935710734fe7d8eb82b6db4f9267cd1.jpg
7a212be4604bfdb444c3929178df979a.jpg
621a857c09e14821034c4d4c5dffbae1.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome to the forum! I'm relatively new here as well but, to me, that look a lot like N. Maxima x Veitchii?? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
In any case, this hobby quickly becomes a new addiction for many of us, lol.

Welcome!

Watch out for this place... after just a few months you'll need a second home just to store all of your Nepenthes.

Thanks guys! I'm excited to be here and learn more about these fascinating plants!
One question I do have is can they over feed? I only fed my plant once after I got it, and I've noticed that 2 pitchers have a few flys in them, do they just digest as needed? Or should I be worried my plant is over feeding?? Its been doing a really good job at keeping the flys out of my house but I've noticed the juices in the 2 pitchers are much darker than the others

Pictures of when I first got this plant in april - they have gotten so much bigger!
0d668647f01559c0e8ad0994617499a4.jpg
06a91e20dd470120728cd4a200ea9440.jpg
fed1df3fd16b219217ebae0b75b684fa.jpg

Great looking plant! I wouldn't worry too much about the plant overfeeding through natural means. If a pitcher is overfed it'll tend to shrivel and drop off to be replaced by a new pitcher on another leaf. If it's catching a ton of bugs, just make sure you don't augment with your own feeding (i.e. by using betta fish pellets, which is how I used to feed my indoor Neps).

One thing: I notice the plant is outside in full sun. Not sure if that's where you intend to keep it, but Neps can get pretty offended at full-on direct sunlight. They tend to prefer very bright partial shade to filtered direct light.

Thank you for your quick response! I dont usually keep my plants outside I just put them outside for a few minutes to take some pictures, they get indirect sunlight all day in the window sill I keep them in :)

Another easy way to feed them if they don't have the opportunity to feed themselves is frozen blood worms (local pet store purchase). Just put a bit in distilled water and then I use a pipette to drop just a few in a couple of pitchers of each plant. They don't need feeding much or often so doing it more than every 2 - 4 weeks would be a waste

Another easy way to feed them if they don't have the opportunity to feed themselves is frozen blood worms (local pet store purchase). Just put a bit in distilled water and then I use a pipette to drop just a few in a couple of pitchers of each plant. They don't need feeding much or often so doing it more than every 2 - 4 weeks would be a waste
Thanks for the tip! I had no idea they could eat blood worms, my plant seems to be doing fine at catching it's own bugs but I'm sure in the winter that will be less and less. I also have a bearded dragon, are the crickets I feed her okay for a once in a while feeding if my plant isnt catching enough bugs??

I don't see why not. In nature they eat flies, bees, ants, etc. so a cricket seems safe enough. Heck, I've seen videos where a stray frog, snake or mouse was found in a pitcher, lol.

Looks like Nepenthes sanguinea to me.

Looks like Nepenthes sanguinea to me.

That could very well be correct. I have a "baby" of the one I mentioned and the pitchers look just like what she posted, but there are minor differences to the lid and internal pitcher coloring. Hard to tell with baby pitchers because many don't yet have the adult characteristics.

That could very well be correct. I have a "baby" of the one I mentioned and the pitchers look just like what she posted, but there are minor differences to the lid and internal pitcher coloring. Hard to tell with baby pitchers because many don't yet have the adult characteristics.
Looking at pictures of N. Sanguinea on Google and some of the baby plants on there look very similar to my plant, I guess only time will truly tell :)

It's almost definitely a sanguinea. The orange clones that get distributed by the big suppliers look like your plant does. It's an attractive and hardy form of the species.

If you’d like, I have many, many cubic meters of utricularia gibba, and am trying to get rid of some. It’s basically just a “welcome to terraforums” gift

Back