What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New plant anyone know?

*Barracuda_45*

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama
Ok got this new plant today, anyone know anything about it?? Or how large it gets? Its called a Cryptanthus "bivittatus" heres a pic of it. The plant is a pale green with white and it has this awsome pinkish color comming in plus the outside leaf edges are like ridged razors its hard to tell with my crapy cam. Its a tiny small plant right now.

newplantCryptanthus.jpg

also called an earth star. its a terrestrial bromiliad. easy to grow and quite hardy. im not familiar with the various species and hybrids but i think approx 8 inches across is typical

Thank you very much rattler_mt
smile_m_32.gif
I think this will be one of the plants i put in my 50gal terrarium on the woodland side but maybe seperate it as it has several plants growing in the one pot and only use 2 in the terrarium. I had seen this plant in the store over a week ago and no one bought it so today when i went to town i noticed it was still there and getting lots pinkish color to it now, so i grabed it up. I know it looks big in the pic but its actualy very small.

I have one of those.
smile.gif
They get very pink in good light. Bromeliads are cool plants. One of them is considered quasi-carnivorous. Brocchinea reducta if memory serves me...which often it doesn't...so I might be wrong.
confused.gif
You also might want to check out tillansias, often called "air plants."

For some reason many CP growers also grow bromeliads, tillansias, ferns, orchids and cactus. Lithops ("living stones") are also popular. Which is why we have those forums here too.

Thanks PlantAKiss for the info, ive got it in a window in the kitchen that gets about almost 2 hrs full sun now that the leafs are all gone off the trees out here in the woods. I was thinking about using a few airplants on some neat looking wood that i have for the woodland side of the terrarium as those would be higher up the back side of the terrarium close to the waterfall. Im hoping to have my 50gal terrarium done by x-mass i have been little by little gathering everything i need for it and now im down to just getting the waterfall then im good to go on geting it all set up..
smile.gif

Back