What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mint plant

Does anyone here know anything on the mint plant? Like how to grow it and where to get it from?

Grow it either from seed or buy a plant at a garden centre. There are no special requirements to grow mints - they're weeds from beginning to end. Just care for it as you would your usual kitchen herbs.

Cheers
Amori

Does it take long from seeds?

Not at all, but be carefull where you plant it. They spread by the roots and never die. Kinda like the tribbles(?) in Star Trek, you get one and suddenly a thousand appear.

That's good I want a lot. Ever try it in tea?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Feb. 01 2006,12:55)]Grow it either from seed or buy a plant at a garden centre. There are no special requirements to grow mints - they're weeds from beginning to end. Just care for it as you would your usual kitchen herbs.

Cheers
Amori
End??? I don't think successive napalm attacks would kill mint....

But they came out with some pretty cool varieties, like apple mint, chocolate mint, and orange mint, all of which live in a giant barrel in my yard, awating spring!

-Ben

my mom grows mint
smile.gif
in the summer i get a nice juicy feaf and just chew on it...the flavor lasts and lasts and....lasts
smile.gif
. she puts it in her her green tea and makes(drooling) homemade mint icecream! good luck and ya it does grow like a weed but its one of those weeds you can live with

It depends on what variety you get on how weedy it is, and the flavor changes with each. Wild mint is very weedy, the mountain minst don't spread as aggresively, and I like the taste of them better.
You can order seed from prairiemoon.com
Wild Mint is Mentha arvensis
The mountain mints are Pycnanthemum pilosum, Pycnanthemum tenuifolium, Pycnanthemum virginianum, and Pycnanthemum virginianum var. something don't remember what. Prairie moon has decent prices on seed. $2 a pack and a good amount, 100-1000 per pack depending on seed size.

I picked some seed packets at Wal-Mart so I'm gonna start it up. Will it grow year-round inside by a window?

It might. I would try to collect seed from it just incase it doesn't like not having a dormancy. You should sow these like CPs, place on top of the suface, don't cover them, and water from the bottom.
Mints form a rhizom during the winter.

The package says to cover them with the soil.

At work we just put them on the surface.

The places I checked say they need light to germinate.

Hey, how do i do the ice cream!!!!!!!
confused.gif
?
confused.gif
???, tell me please!!!!!!!, i dont have mint mine die, but i will try again.

I have two packs so I'll try both ways. See what works.

Back