What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any experience with germinating milkweed?

Wondering has anyone got any exp. with stratifying and germinating these buggers? I hope to get a few seeds soon of these to start(and yes I am in it for the monarchs...LOL...adults come by our yard at some times of year)

My boss won't give away the secret to me for this one, it is supposed to be difficult to germinate. Lemme check with a few other people and see if I can get the trick.

Ok, here is what I got: (Your going to want to get more then a few, even with stratification, as I understand 40% germ rates are still high, 20-30% are more common)

For Common milkweed Asclepias syriaca.

3 part stratification: (some people said no strat is needed, but germ rates are real low, under 5%)

Step 1: Coldmoist for 3-6 weeks - wrap them in paper towel throw them in a bag and put 'em in the fridge.

Step 2: Let them dry up for a day or 2, then scarify, best method I have heard is to put them in a bag with sand, and shake it around for a couple minutes.

Step 3: Soak them in warm water for 24 hours. I would start with something not to hot to put your hand in, and then let it settle to room temp for the rest of the time.

Then after the 24 hours are up.

Sowing: Sow them indoors cover with no more then 1/4" of dirt. You need to keep the soil temp above 75F, and they should germinate within 2 weeks

Thank you for the reply! Is this off of personal experience of the general reccomended procedure?

Really it is a combination.

I haven't personally dealt with this species, but it is a native species to my area.

I have dealt with other native species that are difficult to germinate, and used a similar process.

This is a compilation of recomended processes, and some adlibing from the experience with other reluctant species.

I was talking with a girl at work today about germinating milkweeds.
She said she purchased Butterfly Milkweed seed last year, and didn't do any stratification, and got real low germination rates. She is doing it again this year, using cold moist, and now that I mentioned these other steps to her she may try them as well, and will compare the results from this year to last.

lol..i cant believe u asked that..they grow wild here in sd. guess i thought they grew all over the place..

thanks

Brad

I have them growing in my backyard in Fl. I don't do anything special and they self-seed everywhere. The butterflies (and caterpillars) are always around on them and they get so chewed up they look really ratty so I keep them in the back of other plants.

Back