What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone this GORGEOUS flower??? Pics inside!!

Hello!

I drive by some nearby houses frequently and always pass by some of the most gorgeous flowers ever. I am completely new to gardening and botany, and my expertise extends as far as planting sunflowers (LOL) and raising my current batch of VFTs.

If anyone can identify what these flowers are, I would be ecstatic, as I would love to purchase seeds and plant these in the front of my house.

I'm sure this might be a no-brainer for someone!!

THe following are thumbnails, please click to see them in slightly larger (but still compressed) sizes. I attempt to take clear pics, so please enjoy the aesthetics of these specimens while in the process
smile.gif

I am wondering about the higher layer, with those orange, golden, white, blossoms.

----------

----------

Thanks a lot, as I was wondering about these for 3 weeks now!

Caro

Poppies I think. That's something I miss about California... seeing those everywhere. The petals have that neat rubbery feel to them.

Orange ones are California Poppies, can't smoke these
laugh.gif

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh

(feels dumb)

(but VERY VERY PLEASED)

thank you!

Nope. Those are not California poppies. I'm not sure of the species name, but in the trade they go by the name Iceland poppies or something like that. They are sold at pretty much any place that has flowers. I personally like the fiery orange CA poppies better though.

My bad, you are right, those aren't CA poppies. I should know better, I use to grow CA poppies. You probably can't smoke those in the photos either
smile_m_32.gif

they look like icelandic poppies to me, the orientals are much showier but the icelandics do have a nice look to them

I agree...Icelandic Poppies in the back. The white flowers with deep purple centers in the front are Pansies, BTW. Just in case you're wondering about those too. Pansies come in a myriad of colors, so you can really color up an area with those.

Regards,

Mike

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Houstonherp @ Mar. 05 2006,8:31)]I agree...Icelandic Poppies in the back. The white flowers with deep purple centers in the front are Pansies, BTW. Just in case you're wondering about those too. Pansies come in a myriad of colors, so you can really color up an area with those.

Regards,

Mike
THank you! I ended up ordering 400 icelandic poppy seeds on e-bay, including shipping it was around $5 or so, and I will plant them. Hooray!

Um..... I feel like the odd person out, when I say that I see a bunch of Pansies. It's kinda like those pictures that one can either see two faces or a vase. I see the pansies.
biggrin.gif
confused.gif
And just now I read Houstonherp's reply.

Back