What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Banana tree

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
I bought a 2 foot variegated banana tree this spring. It's doubled in size since then. First I put it in full sun and it did great but the variegation went away, then I put it into what I consider deep shade and it never came back. I moved it in the house and I wanted to know will the low light make the variegation return or will it just etoliate? Am I not giving it some sort of micronutrients I should be?

Thanks,

Clint.

Banana trees get there varigation in the higher amounts of light. In shade they will just be green. Depends on the variety though some are higher colored varigation others get no varigation. LIke my musa basjoo gets it but. MY cavendish do get nice varigation as well as my gran nain. Super dwarf really has nice color to it. So higher light gives them varigation but remember bananas are very sensitive to light changes and get sun burn really easy if you dont gradually adjust them pretty much like a nepenthes.

I think it's a dwarf one. why didin't it continue to have color after 2 months in full sun?

I am not really sure but i think that now that were getting less of light( shorter days). My cavendish had really nice color in it during peak summer and then seemed to stop also.

heres my dwarf gran nain( 1 month ago)

IMG_4218.jpg

Interesting fact I just learned yesterday:
Bananas aren't trees, they are herbs. Weird.
brian

yup..the world largest herb
smile.gif

Who'd guessed that a bana is an herb!
Made my jaw drop.
Lois

I thought palms were the largest herbacious plants.
As for your variegation, Clint, I dunno what to tell you, except that my banana tree makes all sorts of wierd looking leaves that very rarely match one another. You'll probably get variegated leaves as soon as you forget that it was ever variegated.
~Joe

Ya i agree on that they are really random

Back