What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mimosa pudica

I just bought four small Mimosa pudica, at a buck fifty each. I was wondering if anyone has grown these before and has any tips.
Brian
PS I have been looking for these for a while, and it is really cool to see them curl up when touched.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tbone @ Nov. 29 2006,5:43)]I just bought four small mimosa pudica, at a buck fifty each.  I was wondering if anyone has grown these before and has any tips.
Brian
PS I have been looking for these for a while, and it is really cool to see them curl up when touched.
I have grown them before. They like lots of light (full sun) and like to have moist soil. When they flower make sure you pollinate the flower with a paint brush or toothpick or else they will not produce seed IME.
dewy

Thanks for the advice
Brian

when do they flower ? which season , spring ??

they flower more towards mid-late summer IME, since I think they are pretty much annuals and it takes them that long to build up enough "juice" to flower- tho I am up in the Great White North :D

can they be grown as indoor plants? i live in the chicagoland area and during the winter season, we get crazy freezing weather + snow.

can they be grown as indoor plants? i live in the chicagoland area and during the winter season, we get crazy freezing weather + snow.

I have grown them as indoor plants. Just be aware that they are thorny which makes moving them a hassle when they get to be of any size.

Back