What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Sphagnum Moss

Hi,
Awhile back i got some all red sphagnum moss off e bay. It was all red when i got it but as it started to grow it turned green and has not returned to red. It gets plenty of light moister etc. anyone ever have the same problem?.

Regards :scratch:

I guess it needs more light.

may have been grown indoors under lights. Probably bright lights at that!
Peter.

Hi everyone
Thanks for the replays. The moss is getting plenty of light, been in the 80s and 90s here in Oregon. The moss is outside in my homemade green house. But what i have done is added 1 teaspoon of white vinegar to 4 cups of rain water, will see how that works out.

Regards :water:

Are you growing it on anything? Butch (Av8tor1) recommends peat. The NECPS website recommends rewetted dried LFS. I've grown it in just plain plastic with a little perlite on the bottom, LFS and peat. LFS seems to be somewhat better than peat but nothing definitive. The peat or LFS could help to raise the acidity. Live Sphagnum should raise the acidity on it's own but perhaps the added acidity from the peat or LFS might help.

Hi,
The first tray didn't have any peat, but i just now started the other tray with about a 1/4 of peat in the bottom and added the treated water. I sure would like to get some live NewZealand Moss and try it.

Regards :-O

Back