What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Info on bonsai

johnnyfrye

I like drosera.
I recently got a bonsai tree, and it is my first one. It's kind of strange, because the gravel is glued down so it is kind of hard to tell if the soil is wet enough or not. I don't think it needs dormancy, because the care sheet it came with didn't say anything about dormancy. Does anyone know how to take care of bonsai trees or have any advice for me?

Yes, your observation about glued gravel is correct. I would try to repot the tree into an appropriate, well-drained potting mix. I saw some of these at a grocery store recently. If your tree is a juniper, it belongs outside in good light. Keep your receipt, as the tree might already be dead, eventhough the leaves are green.

Tip #1 - never buy "bonsai" with glued down gravel.

Tip #2 - never buy "bonsai" at walmart, target, k-mart or a grocery store.

Johnny,
what you have is not really bonsai..what you have is commonly known as "mallsai"..
(which means "fake bonsai sold at the mall")
its a houseplant or a juniper put in a cheap "bonsai pot" so it looks vaugely like Bonsai and can be charged an outragious price..

Your plant could maybe become a good bonsai tree someday!
with good training, and if its good source material.

A "bonsai tree" is not any one specific plant or tree species.
Normally bonsai trees are made from native trees, native to the region,
like Maples, Oaks, Pines, Cedars, all kinds of different plants.
They stay outdoors every hour of every day of the year, they are not indoor plants.

there are some "indoor bonsai" made from tropical houseplants, but most bonsai enthusiasts would not consider them "real" bonsai..with the possible exception of Serissa and Ficus.

First, we need to know what kind of plant it is!
this is vitally important for its proper care.
We have to know if it MUST stay indoors all winter (a tropical houseplant)
or if it MUST stay outside all winter! (any native north american tree)

Can you take a picture of it and post it?
or email a pic to me and I will post it for you:

sscotsman at yahoo dot com.

if its a juniper, im sorry, but its probably already dead.

Scot

Some tips for saving the plant:

http://wiki.bonsaitalk.com/index.php/Beware_the_mallsai

http://www.bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3182

be warned..If your tree is a juniper, the odds are very good it wont live. :down:
actually..the odds are about 90% it was already dead long before you bought it..
Junipers are favorites of the mallasi makers because they stay green for several months after they die...thats handy for them.

If its some kind of tropical houseplant, like a ficus or a schefflera, (common for these kinds of things) you can probably save it by taking it out of its little pot and putting in a regular houseplant pot with potting soil..

For tips on growing real Bonsai, (which is a fabulous hobby!)
there are a ton of great books out there..your local Barnes & Noble or Borders should have several..

Scot

What about the ones at Home Depot, Lowes? Are they of bad quality too?

It depends where the big home improvement stores get their trees. I know the Home Depot near me has great quality trees because they buy them in bulk from a local bonsai nursery.

I would suggest getting your first tree from an established bonsai place, or if you have a lot of patience, grow one from seed.

I would not trust any juniper, however, unless it is from a bonsai nursery.

Back