What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cycas revoluta

Hi All

I have a sago palm Cycas revoluta which has produced no new leaves (if they are called leaves) in over a year. Do I need to repot it? Do I need to give it more heat or humidity? I put it in my glass house a couple of years back and it produced some new leaves eventually so I guess it likes heat but Im also worried it could be too hot right now, like 30-40 degrees C 86-104 F. Does it need bright light? I gave it a liquid feed a month back but they are normally so slow its hard to tell if that helped or not. Most plants respond quickly enough so you can tell weather its doing good or the reverse. Any advice greatly recieved.
Its really too cold most of the year here to grow it outside.

There are some of those on my parents's property in Houston. They're planted in the ground, so I don't know about space, but they seem to need a decent amount of room for roots. We have about 12 of them, and one of them stabbed me when I was doing yardwork, so I gave it a swift and forceful kick, and it didn't even budge. I would assume that is a sign it has a pretty extensive root system. In Houston, temps easily get up to 110 in the shade, so I don't know if heat is too much a problem. Plus, aren't these pretty ancient plants? The earth used to be a hell of a lot hotter.....

How cold does it get there? Houston will get down to the 30s on more than a couple nights during the 3 month or so winter.

It can get down to 21 F here in winter. I think maybe I will re-pot it again and put it in the cool greenhouse where it gets to 80F. It comes from the South of japan originally so probably it needs hotter and more humid. It is a cool plant even if it has stopped growing for me. Thanks phissionkorp. By the way is that a dustmite in your avatar?

Cycas revoluta is quite tolerant of cold. If the plant is new, it might skip a year of leaf production- mine did. Establishment? If it does not flush next year i would worry, but not now. Some cycads (but not this one) don't create a new flush until their old flush dies, so a skipped year might not be a biggie if it is adjusting to a new location.

Back