What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planted because you had nothing better to do?

Ant

Your one and only pest!
Well I was watching tv and was eating an apple. I noticed some of the seeds were growing and I thought I might as well try and grow them. Has any one done something like that?

Does blowing dandelions on the neighbors lawn count?

No, I mean you took the seeds and grew them, not just spread them. Like putting some bird seed in a bag with wet paper towel to see what grows.

What?! Are you saying that you were eating an apple that was so lod that the seeds were growing inside it? Can't say I have . . .

Actually now that I think about it, every now I'd get bored and plant grass seed in an unused pot indoors during winter to remind me of spring. They make neat little displays to put around the house / office.

I once grew watermelons in my brother's yard by spitting out seeds.

They grow pretty easily........

old apple? um, the seeds are just growing meaning the seed coat was broken and a small root bud was there. The apple was fresh and very tasty. I wouldn't eat a rotting apple!

I've done stuff like that with fruit seeds.

I'm a plant collector all the time. Whenever I'm walking in the woods, I look for native plants. I browse the landscaping of businesses and take small cuttings of anything I like, and keep water/plastic bags/paper towels on hand constantly for this purpose (in my car or backpack) to get them home. I have at any given time from 3-5 windowsills stocked full of cuttings in recycled plastic stuff waiting to root, or seeds waiting to germinate. There will be a fruit and veggie garden this year, as well as beds for shade plants, containers of cacti and succulents and interesting trees, various other landscaping, and I even have plans for a greenhouse within the next year or so. Tons of houseplants which I'm constantly propagating as fast as the cats can eat them. I've got a computer file list with approximately 1000 species of plants listed that interest me for one reason or another, which over my lifetime I'll attempt to collect and grow. I add to it every couple of days it seems like. I can name each and every weed in my yard, know their edibility (i.e. dandelion's bitter yet ridiculously nutritious [younger leaves, less bitter], while yellow oxalis is sour [flowers are the best], and clover flowers are really sugary sweet and tasty--try them sometime!), and have studied a lot about water/soil/geology/ecology. I also know uses of plants other than ornamental, such as for fiber, firemaking, wood types, shelter construction, medicinal, edible, and so forth. I'm constantly looking up new things and dedicate probably an unhealthy amount of time toward this end. I'll never know everything, but our ancestors had a mental catalog of thousands of plant species and all the uses of each which I find it a shame to have lost. I'm always glancing around at the beauty of the environment, especially now in spring with everything blooming and leafing out. And above all I try to do everything without expense.

I've also tried to root plants from the supermarket (i.e. buy some parsley or cilantro for a couple of bucks and root them all for a total of 50+ plants, some prickly pear and root it, some avocado and germinate the pit, etc.). Usually seed won't come true to type and so you're better off rooting whatever you can find.

You could easily say that growing just about everything keeps me from having nothing to do.

i grow onions and a now dead potatoe plant

i often want to do that with onions and potatos i see rooting, but i just never do xD

I've also tried to root plants from the supermarket (i.e. buy some parsley or cilantro for a couple of bucks and root them all for a total of 50+ plants, some prickly pear and root it, some avocado and germinate the pit, etc.). Usually seed won't come true to type and so you're better off rooting whatever you can find.

How do you do this? Just use those rooting powders? I would do this mint even though I have some seeds that already sprouted.

My apple seeds are growing really fast!:0o: some already are growing the first real leaves and the fisrt pair aren't even done expaning, and have a deep green color! I thought I had no green thumb with easy plants. :-))

How do you do this? Just use those rooting powders? I would do this mint even though I have some seeds that already sprouted.
Well, herbs like that (especially mint) are notoriously easy to root and mint especially will form runners which root at different points along the ground.

The best rooting hormone is not powder, but a liquid hormone (a cocktail of several hormones actually) called Dip 'n' Grow. Professional horticulturalists use it for nursery/greenhouse propagation for several reasons over powders:

-it absorbs into the plant better, being liquid, and also absorbs more evenly
-it contains more types of hormones than powders, which usually have only one
-it can be diluted to different strengths for different cutting types (woody, semi-woody, softwood, etc.)
-the solvent for the hormones is alcohol (powder hormones are talcum powder, which is very fine and dusty but still doesn't absorb as well and can't be sucked up by the vascular tissues, and also powders aren't soluble in water and float, leaving a nasty white muck), which sterilizes the dipped end of the cuttings and prevents mold/rot/fungus/etc.

You can use powders and they'll work fine, but I get better and quicker strikes with the liquid.

Also as with all cuttings it's quicker to maturity than seed as well as true to type. And keep humid, moist, enclosed in a bag in a place without direct bright light, just like any other cuttings. Sterile and airy medium (basically peat/perlite/sand).

Yeah last year i started an avocado and it is about 1'6" tall now i am soo proud of it lol. I will post pics of it tommorow.

-Flash

Back