What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is black spot? (rose bushes)

Ant

Your one and only pest!
My mom has a large thorn bush that she planted the day your house was built (1990) and it has a desease that my mom calls black spot. Every year the new leaves all start getting small black dots all over them. The plant looks alot less healthy the the other bushes breed to be imune to it. What is it and how do you get rid of it? Also my mom had cut down almost all of the branches of leaving only 5 or 6 med. sized ones that grew from nods. None of these leaves have it yet to.

*I am asking for my mom, so she can get rif of it without killing the bush.

Wikipedia says:

It is usually recommended to remove the plant, as it will not yield well, and will slow the spreading of the disease. Removing fallen leaves helps to avoid the infection. Fungicides - for example mancozeb, chlorothalonil, flutriafol, penconazole, or a copper based product- applied upon new leaf emergence or first appearance of black spot can be used to control the disease. Several sprays may be required to keep the disease under control during the growing season.

I don't grow roses, but I have friends who do... like JLAP said, it's a fungus... you can use any number of fungicides to get rid of it...

Since the rose in question is susceptible to black spot, you may want to consider where you have it planted. It's my understanding that if a rose is planted where it doesn't get sun first thing in the morning to help burn off dew, it's more likely to develop black spot. I don't know if it's true or not, but you may want to do some research along those lines...

Thanks, I will tell my mom. If that is true it didn't happen to my least favorite bush. My mom has a wild thorn bush in my back yard that is growing like crazy. She didn't know it was one until it flowered and I hated it and it was always in the shade in the morning. Last week I got so angry at it I took the clippers and cut of 80% of its growth leaving only 6 or 7 branches. I am not sure if that is helps, but I hated that bush! :censor:

I've never heard it called a thorn bush. Roses are very distinct when not in flower. The leaves are easy to recognize.

Back