What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morning Glories

i have several morning glories growing inside right now and i do want them to flower, however im not sure how they are going to be pollinated to create flowers and seeds. Any ideas?

bees, moths and hummingbirds like them....should be no issue getting them to set seed

thats great i would totally do that, but unfortantly there inside and vined up my entire grow rack. some moths to get in the screen door next to the rack but i dont know if they would pollinate? still open to all ideas, and thank you for posting 8)

Well Since you didnt plant them outside you might have to hand pollinate them. They will flower just will not set seed unless they self pollinate. I dunno if they do or not. I always planted mine outside and the bees did the job for me.

how do i hand pollinate?

Get a small paintbrush, a black and yellow striped shirt and play bee. You should be good to go.

lol i would have to dance around in a field like the little girl in the song Rain by Blind Melon :-O

but before i get my tap shoes out how would i go about doing this?

They really do fin on their own and their seedpods end up dropping seeds for the following year. really, they're as easy as capensis!

Depending on your climate, they might not come back from seed (outdoors)

I had dozens of Morning Glories growing last season, planted from store-bought seeds.
they all grew great and made billiions of seeds.

a few seeds fell to the gound naturally last autumn, but the majority stayed in the seed pods all winter...the seed pods stayed on the plants all winter, exposed to the winter air.

about a month ago..maybe even 6 weeks ago, I tore down all the dried dead vines from last season, popped open the hundreds of seed pods and put the seeds back into the ground, hoping to grow a new crop of M.G's this year...NO seeds have sprouted!
not one..

I can only conclude that the winter not only killed the vines (which ws expected..they are considered annuals in this climate) but that winter ALSO killed the seeds!..the seeds froze to death.

either that or they take a REALLY long time to germinate...but they should have sprouted by now..

If none sprout in the next few weeks, I will buy more store-bought seeds and plant those..
Then! this autumn before a deep freeze, I will collect a bunch of seed pods and store them with my CPs..a winter dormancy just above freezing,
then see how the seeds do that way next spring.

Scot

Back