What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone grow Aji Peppers?

I know a carnivours plant forum is a strange place to ask this question, but does anyone have experience growing aji (Capsicum baccatum) peppers? I had many a variety of these while I was in Peru a summer ago and they became my favorite hot peppers, however, I have not been able to locate a decent source of them here in the states so I am thinking of going with plan B, grow my own. The only problem is I cant find good information on growing them and I have found few sources of seeds. So has anyone grown any variety of aji before? particularly have you grown aji amarillo? Will they survive as container plants?

I grew some Aji _____ plants several years ago but can't remember for sure if they were Amarillo. That's the variety I see most often in seed listings and you should have no trouble finding them. I can't remember anything about them other than that I didn't grow them again.

Growing chiles in containers is a great idea up here because chiles are perennials and putting out a mature plant greatly extends the season. I had a couple potted Habaneros that lasted for several years before finally giving up. But I don't know how it'll work down there with the higher temps and more intense sun. If you try it, I'd recommend using white pots.

Thanks, I know there are lots of different kinds of Ajis, but the amarillo tended to be my favorite ones I think (I liked the yellow aji sauce best), and so thats what I was going to go with. I also noticed they tended to be the most common seed here in the states.

I am thinking a container plant mainly because I will probably be moving to a cooler more northern climate soon and want to take them with me. I think I might wait till January, Feb to sow them and just grow them as an indoor plant until I get good enough weather in the North, but its good to see you succeeded with them up in CT, MI will probably work as well, hopefully.

Back