What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need input for Amorphophallus konjac

I received an Amorph corm a few months back post flowering from Frankie (Thanks again!). It grew it's leaves and kept them for a while and now they've all yellowed. What is the next step? Do I leave it in it's pot? The corm has grown and is pushing out the sides of the pot so this obviously screams 'repot' to me. Or should I unpot it and treat it like a potato by letting it sit out for a while? What kind of soil would I use if I repot?
Thanks!

---------- Post added 09-03-2009 at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was 09-02-2009 at 11:03 AM ----------

I've found a couple useful site but i'm still interested in hearing from others

http://www.growingwithplants.com/2006/03/amorphophallus-bulb.html
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/aroid/msg0712210120147.html
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/aroid/msg0209440232009.html

I had better luck with unpotting it, when it went dormant, then keeping it is a cool, dark, dry place until it starts to grow again. I tried to overwinter one in a pot that was kept too wet and the tuber rotted by the time the next growing season came around.

Good luck, they are fun plants to grow.

Unpot, dry out and stick it on a shelf in the house until spring. Mine are all still growing here. How cold is it getting there now?

Unpot, dry out and stick it on a shelf in the house until spring. Mine are all still growing here. How cold is it getting there now?

Ok, thanks for the help, that's exactly what I did, unpotted and stuck it dry on a shelf. It had divided and thrown out a smaller corm which I split as well.

As for temps I grew this one indoors all this year simply because I knew nothing about it but the nights indoors are around 75 and outdoors mid 50s. After doing a bit of research I'm planning on sticking both outside next year.

I recently purchased a Amorph. Konjac off e-bay.
I'm not sure what I've been sold.
All the foliage is purple fading to pink, stem and all.
Also, along with it's foliage is a feather-duster like flower thing.
Amorphophalus are supposed to be aroids with a spathe/spadix inflorescence. I'm truly confused.

Anyone have some info to bestow upon me?

Here's mine as of 2-3 months ago. Those links I posted above have a decent amount of information. Do not keep too wet and fertilize at will during the growing season.

IMG_2263.JPG_595.jpg

I recently purchased a Amorph. Konjac off e-bay.
I'm not sure what I've been sold.
All the foliage is purple fading to pink, stem and all.
Also, along with it's foliage is a feather-duster like flower thing.
Amorphophalus are supposed to be aroids with a spathe/spadix inflorescence. I'm truly confused.

Anyone have some info to bestow upon me?

Post a photo of it.

I just dug up one of my 4 pounders last week: She's now 11 1/2" across and 13 pounds!
The one on the left was the size of the other one this spring!

Amorphs01.jpg

Back