What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Don't Suppose...

Clue

clippity-clip-clip
... that anyone here would know how to germinate redwood seeds? I received 38 of the cute little seeds (they look like lentils) from my dad's friend down the street who owns two enormous redwoods, and I have no ideas about getting them to germinate...

... except that they have a poor germination rate.

check this out! http://sunnyfortuna.com/explore/redwood-clone.htm. I have done the burls before and if I were you this is what I would do. There is a link near the bottom of that link to a seeds grown how-to. It's stated there that 95% of seeds are not viable!

My dad's friend has never decided to remove burls for propagating... his redwoods were planted in an ill-thought out area, without much space, and they're heading for his water pipes... his hands are full. He only gave me the seeds because he has no use for them and is quite a generous person. :)

95%, huh? I've heard before that it's much worse than that, 95% is a relief.

Thanks, Greg!

You can also grow them fairly easily with cuttings off the branches. What I do is to use a six inch cutting from near the tip of a branch with lots of leaves and set it into a sand/peat moss mix (50/50) that is filling a 4 inch square pot and set the potted cutting in an old cottage cheese tub up to just below the rim of the pot and fill the tub with rain, distilled, or r/o water. And let it set for at least 3 to 6 months before pulling the potted cutting out of the water filled tub. You may have to experiment to get it right but I have succeeded at this and have one cutting that is about 2 feet tall now.

Clue, I believe Frilleon meant a 5% germination rate, as he said 95% of seed are not viable.

I saw one germinate under the air compressor at work, where the water drains out. I took it home and potted it up, but a raccoon got INTO the GH, and tore up the little seedling. :headwall:

Clue, I believe Frilleon meant a 5% germination rate, as he said 95% of seed are not viable.

Yeah, I know. It's still a relief.

I have 4 really tall seedlings growing now. :-O

Back