What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VOODOO Lily

I also love the alien vs voodoo lily. Very artsy but awesome. I think it is a frame-worthy pic.

My question is regarding different species which do not like partial or shady conditions. I picked up a few arum cornutum bulbs at Meijers but would like other voodoo lily species/genus for variety and just wanted to know which ones like or need lots/full sun since I have a balcony which is at best partial shade. Most the sites I found were pretty general with the info and say just about anything I've looked up takes anywhere from full shade to full sun but I thought maybe someone here ran into a species to warn me against since they only take full sun and would be miserable in partial.

The voodoo likes bright shade. Very early morning sun is o.k.

Excellent, thanks tommy. I am always happy to find plants that like something other than full sun and didn't want to get a bunch of voodoo lilies only to find that out after the fact...

Here's One of my Sauromatum Venosum That Just Bloomed
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/577562326bJTADW

First flower
Only about 19 1/2in. tall

But hey it's still a flower

I also love the alien vs voodoo lily. Very artsy but awesome. I think it is a frame-worthy pic.

My question is regarding different species which do not like partial or shady conditions. I picked up a few arum cornutum bulbs at Meijers but would like other voodoo lily species/genus for variety and just wanted to know which ones like or need lots/full sun since I have a balcony which is at best partial shade. Most the sites I found were pretty general with the info and say just about anything I've looked up takes anywhere from full shade to full sun but I thought maybe someone here ran into a species to warn me against since they only take full sun and would be miserable in partial.

Dracunculus Vulgaris can take a lot of sun

Man that's different! Nice!

Paeonofolis rotted

My Amorphophallua paeonifolius rotted over winter. Anyone have an extra? I have Sauromatum Venosum and Amorphophalus bulbifer if anyone is interested plus other plants if you do not need those.
Phil

Me and my 13 pounder last week!

Me13lbAmorph2010.jpg

You have to give us a picture of the leaf it sends up after that flower! Is it big enough to replace a patio umbrella yet? :-D

You have to give us a picture of the leaf it sends up after that flower! Is it big enough to replace a patio umbrella yet? :-D

Almost big enough! Here it is last early summer:

AmorpKonjacMe-1.jpg

Wow thats awesome, i have one that is about 3 ft tall that is almost ready to spread its leaves and a smaller one 2ft or so too growing in the same pot, i'll have to try to get a pic up. a konjac

Wow thats awesome, i have one that is about 3 ft tall that is almost ready to spread its leaves and a smaller one 2ft or so too growing in the same pot, i'll have to try to get a pic up. a konjac

None of mine at the moment are showing any leaf spike growth. FYI. It's been cool here lately.

Your's seem a lot bulkier than mine, maybe mine are still young?

My A. konjac's

older pic
Picture226.jpg

today's pics, not much change besides lighting
Picture228.jpg

Picture229.jpg

lol didn't notice there stems were a little wavy

sorry its a little bit of a mess in the greenhouse, was just repotting everything, lol probably should of done it outside :p

Nice Konjacs! that last pic is really nice! I have one that's about 2 feet now (maxed out I believe) and 2 others that are being real slow pokes. My big 13 pounder hasn't even started growing yet. Seems to be taking a long rest.

My 13 pounder is finally up, about 3 feet tall now. I have 3 babies going now as well. Pics soon.

Most impressive! How does one come up with a 13 lb tuber? Ones I grew were always walnut sized.

If anyone is interested in bulbifer bulbs i should be up to my armpits in them soon.

Most impressive! How does one come up with a 13 lb tuber? Ones I grew were always walnut sized.

I got it as a 4+ pound tuber in the spring of 2009. By fall it was 13 lbs.

The one on the left (13 lbs.) was the size of the one on the right (4+ lbs.) when I planted it last spring.

Amorphs01.jpg

well i dug mine up since they went dormant early,

@phil: do bulbifer corms store dry? id love some mine didn't make it i can send you some konjacs

now i have i think 30 corms in total various sizes, my largest being about softball, then tennis ball, then a few golfballs, and finally spare change size haha (nickels, dimes, quarters, pennies)

how do you get them that big so fast? One of mine doubled in size and the other one barely changed. Thought they would get bigger faster. do you fertilize them?

also has anyone ever ate them before? im not sure about trying it.
http://www.ihealthdirectory.com/amorphophallus-konjac/

Bulbifer

Dustin;
I got your PM' I can you some bulbs. And I have more yet. I stored some bulbs in an envelope to dry in the house last fall, found them in July this summer and most of them grew even the tiny ones!

I can also send some venustum.

Phil

tommyr- haha yeah i guess that would help :p, i have a compost pile so hopefully next year i get get them into some good compost. I'll also start fertilizing them too maybe.

Yes i saw how people eat them, im not sure exactly how great it would taste it looks like it doesn't have any flavour. i was wondering if anyone one the forum has tried them before? I personally at the moment don't think i have enough to go eating them yet haha. though little unsure reading the last part about the chokiing it looked like the people weren't eating it right.

phil: that would be awesome, i'll pm you back.

Back