What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vegetable garden '10

Very nice!

Looks great, you planting seeds or plants themselves?

thanks!
we usually just buy small plants at the local garden center..
we literally want ONE pumpkin plant..buying seeds, while cheaper, is just a big waste of seeds for us..

bought 4 small tomato plants and 3 eggplants today..

haha is your cp related thing the tote that collects your cp water? haha i have one of those too.

yep, you got it! ;)
im considering building a larger rain barrel, to collect rain water from the shed roof..
last summer our veggie garden was mostly a failure because it was REALLY wet..it rained virtually every day in June! and the downspouts from the entire house roof discharge right there directly into the garden..so this spring I moved one downspout so its discharging into the front yard, and the second downspout im planning to also re-locate so it spills along the side of the garden..so I will also have to re-do my rail barrel..im going to add a small gutter to the shed roof, and a larger barrel, for my CP rain water supply, and all the water from the house roof will discharge farther away..

Scot

Another little update,

i was finally able to get outside and do some weeding fun fun lol. most of them are out.

i found purslane among the weeds, it did come up the year before last, didn't come up last year but did come up this year, i'm guessing its because we tilled it? I like it, its small now but when it gets big it has nice succulent stems, make a nice snack. i think it said it was the plant that had one of the highest omega 3 levels. grows randomly in the garden.

not as many beans came up as i hoped...hopefully the sprouts grow leaves, most don't have any, just the stem. i do have a few nice plants going though, i might transplant them all together, later.

squash are growing rapidly, so are tomatoes, i have tons of green lettuce starting to put out edible leaves, and some red lettuce, also the spinach and swiss chard came up great

i saw a rabbit today while i was working on it :p hopefully it doesn't get any ideas

here are a few veggies starting to come in, the tomatoes are hard to get before july, but i might get these to ripen this year, im feeding them fish fertilizer( neptunes harvest), and espoma's tomato tone went in the soil when i planted them, well see .I've never gotten a tomato before july in this area of virginia, like ive lived some where else LOL
have you ever seen 8 ball zucchini ,you grow them to about the size of an soft ball or a little larger, great for stuffing and baking, seasoned burger and rice topped with fetta cheese. check out the plant in the last shot , that is the zucchini plant its huge already, and this is the first one from the plant , there are three plants in this clump.:-D

Last edited:
Very nice, i think i've seen those zucchini before, they look pretty cool, maybe ill have to try them sometime.

i just planted some more broccolli, golden bell, green bell, and red bell peppers in the garden, i also planted eggplants. i may have killed the spinach though, i spread them out they don't look to good maybe they just need a few days to get the roots to take.

Hmm, i've had a few tomato plants that seem to be wilted, should i remove them? they don't seem to pop back up in the afternoon or after a watering, the ones right next to them are growing great though, I'm suspecting they might have some kind of disease so id rather remove them before it spreads too much.

Any thoughts, I'll try to get some pics up shortly

tomato's are like weeds, they should be fine. I would guess a few other issues over disease. Could be over watered (less draining soil then the others). Also if it's in the ground something could be eating the roots (gophers).

Hmm, i've had a few tomato plants that seem to be wilted, should i remove them? they don't seem to pop back up in the afternoon or after a watering, the ones right next to them are growing great though, I'm suspecting they might have some kind of disease so id rather remove them before it spreads too much.

Any thoughts, I'll try to get some pics up shortly

I do daily watering so maybe ill stop or water them a little more lightly than the others, hopefully that is the problem. Thanks

here's pics, they were taken pretty fast but just to give everyone a hint of what i got, just a basic in ground garden, would have like to of made it raised beds but do to money issues that wasn't possible this year. gotta love weeding it lol, everything is organic in the garden.

Start with pics of the wilting, see if it easier to help
Picture217.jpg

Picture221.jpg

Picture218.jpg

Picture219.jpg

Other tomatoes :D
Picture216.jpg

Picture215.jpg

There was a total of i think 22 large plants, then i have seedlings at the very end along with random ones coming up from 2 years ago

Squash :)
Picture204.jpg

↑front are zucchini, few in the back right corner are summer yellow
Picture205.jpg

↑2 are acorn and 2 are butternut squash

Large pumpkins i planted field pumpkins and Golden jem, said 22lb
Picture206.jpg

Picture209.jpg

↑small pumpkins sugar sweet only supposed to be like 6in diameter

watermelon, crimson sweet
Picture207.jpg

Cantaloupe-sierra gold
Picture208.jpg

Eggplant~not sure how it grows first time growing it
Picture213.jpg

leaf lettuce ruby red and black seeded simpson
Picture214.jpg

MY PEPPERS Lol they are bell i would love to do some hot peppers but i can't put them in the garden this year red yellow and green
Picture212.jpg

Broccoli
Picture210.jpg

Picture211.jpg

↑ can anyone tell me how i know its ready to be harvested? first time growing broccoli too. its about half the size of my palm

not pictured...
beans
korean perilla (sesame leaf)
radish-whats left are going into flower, getting more seeds soon to plant more
spinach
onions red and i think a sweet yellow or white onion not sure
cucumbers
green and red swiss chard

If i get seeds from the radish flowers can i just plant them right away? or would they need to be stratified? I also would like to collect seed for next year would any of these require cold stratification or could i just wash dry and pack them for next year? thanks

i hope to have a vegetable stand, lol i say my entire family might dent what we get, but definitely not all of it :D

sorry pics are a bit on the large size

Last edited:
Well from the pic's there are a few more things I could add.

1. The soild does look over watered. If I'm correct the ailing plants are on the right of pic #5? Does that happen to be a low spot? If it is then when you water the plants on the left water ends up over on the right. The soild under those plants looks almost like mud.

2. The soild looks a little ruff compared to a good garden soil. Could be the soild is causing issues ( not well drained, too acidic/alkaline, combination of issues, etc.) Next year get some good garden soil or compost and mix it in. I would recommend getting something with or adding perlite to the mix also. A good garden soil should never get too wet as it drains very well. I don't think I could over water my garden uless I left the water running for two days straight!

I have never harvested broccoli (tried growing it a few times). It always went to flower. I would always think the same thing "it's going to get bigger"! It never would and just send up flower shoots. I would harvest it if I were you, but that is mainly because I have never even gotten one that big. Once it goes to flower you might as well just toss it in the compost.

Ahh, thanks fo info

We do have black walnut trees everywhere, before i planted i added a couple bags of manure probably could use some more though, it was what we had lying around.

I'm guessing the soil is a little acidic the whole area used to be weeds, it has been tilled up. It isn't perfectly level either like you added. which could be the problem

I will water a little less then from now on. Actually the soil does sink when i step on it, its not completely hard, it just does that when i water, when i weed a lot of it is turned up

Well I'll keep you updated on how things grow I'll ease up on the watering too :)

=========================================

Looks like you were right frilleon thanks, the tomatoes are coming back strong thankfully i tried the forum before i tossed them. the broccolli are a little wilted i'm pretty sure because they are a cool season crop and they wilt in the mid day heat then pop back up nice in the late afternoon.

Last edited:
So i was all excited and ready to try the first broccoli i harvested but then when we cooked it tons of tiny and medium sized catepillars fell out of it. so im guessing some butterfly decided to lay eggs in them....any ideas on how to prevent this? i was thinking about the panty hose things putting it over the broccoli maybe loose rubber band around the stem or something do you think that would help keep bugs off organically?

my grandparents said i should try using a little se7en on them, they only seem to be on my broccoli plants though. they also said maybe i should have let them soak in cold water first haha lol, that probably could have helped too :p

Last edited:
my grandparents said i should try using a little se7en on them, they only seem to be on my broccoli plants though. they also said maybe i should have let them soak in cold water first haha lol, that probably could have helped too :p

Do you really want to spray deadly poisons on plants you intend to EAT?
sevin on vegetables is a really bad idea..

I wont even spray roundup on weeds in the vegetable garden..
I dont want to risk vegetables taking up anything suspect from their roots..
unlikely to be harmful, but not 100% certain its safe..

personally, I wouldnt spray ANY insecticide on vegatbles..
I dont care what the labels say..

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cornucop/msg05135140662.html

Scot

yeah that's how i am with my vegetables, i hand pick out all the weeds lol, takes a long time but then i know there isn't any chemicals in the garden. do you have any recommended organic ways to stop insects? I'll let him know, but he's been gardening for a long time, i don't know if he's always used it or if its the first time.

I don't know if any of you do this, i just thought i would start one, this is from the first time i harvested things, i probably won't update it through this post but if you want to see the progress its on my growlist.

VEGETABLE GARDEN HARVEST TOTALS:
Harvest for leafy vegetables= About One Handful
Radish: 11
Lettuce(green & red): 2 harvests
Swiss chard(green & red) & Spinach: 4 harvest
Purslane: 5 harvests
Black Raspberries: 2lb 8.4oz
Zucchini: 2
broccoli: 3 heads

I just thought i would see how much i would get in one season :p. i went out today and found out somehow one of my i think acorn squashes grew up to be another zucchini so I'm going to have a ton of zucchini. i counted 4 more zucchini's growing, should pick within the next day or so, and an acorn squash.

I'm also going to collect seeds on my radish, hopefully to create an heriloom i think is what you call it, of my own seeds stock, just because i have 100s of flowers now that some of them have gone too long.

i came up with another idea, what i have been doing with the squash and eventually with the melon is putting a newspaper under neath the fruit. this was advice given from my grandma to keep the bugs away. i was wondering what if i somehow maybe made an origami box or something out of newspaper and then placed it over the broccoli head?, or does it need light to mature? Just a thought, i think im going to be also using the method my relatives said was to just soak, submerge the broccoli for a few days to remove the bugs

The radish seed pods are popular in asian cooking. Pick them when they are still green and tender. They are very yummy in stir-fry. Use them whole and just throw them in with the other veggies. They have a nice spicy flavor.

Back