What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vegetable garden '10

Well we cleared out our vegetable area again, and i just finished racking out all crap i could (rocks, clumps of grass etc.) it's probably i think what i measured last year 18ftx20ft.

Is anyone else starting a vegetable garden? love to see what you all are growing, this year i hope to plant lots of things, squash, maybe pumpkins, peppers, cucumbers, beans, tomatoes and lots of other things.

I'll keep you all updated on how it goes, i'd love to see and hear your gardens, I don't have that fancy of a space for mine, I would like to make it a raised vegetable garden, but right now its just going to be grown in the ground for this year.

and maybe some of your garden secrets :)

We've got tomatoes and bok choy started... and I still have some green onions. No secrets to speak of, just water and sunlight. :p

I just harvested some pumpkins, and there's a tomato plant that sprouted somewhere in the yard. I've also got beans and potatoes started. I also have some spearmint growing
I just sowed some Jicama, given by my aunt.
I don't have any specific varieties. It's just scraps from the veggies I eat...

We don't eat any of it, though. :p

Pumpkin plant:
100_2984-1.jpg

I just started a vegetable garden this year... we have a raised mound that used to have trees that we're growing squash, tomatoes, zucchini, and peppers in. Problem is there's a big stump in the middle of it which we had to cover with a LOT of dirt.

taters, onions, maters, beets, green beans, pintos!

Speaking of taters, has anyone tried the garbage can method of growing potatoes? I'm trying it this year with a 32 gallon one, but not sure how well it works.

lots of replies :)

I have a stump in the middle of the garden too, we just cut down the tree that was in the middle of it, but now i can use it as a little table or something to sit on.

i just planted a bunch of stuff, yellow squash, zucchini, watermelon, cantaloupe, sugar sweet pumpkins, beans, eggplant, chives, radish, basil and I think im going to try to get some tomato and pepper plants too, and i might do some leaf lettuce. also like spinach

Once everything gets going a bit ill post some pics

I might try potatoes, but i'd have to do one of those methods, and if we get to it, we have 3 huge tractor tires we picked up from the dump, we were going to plant one with strawberries, one with hot peppers, and idk what we were going to do with the other one, maybe another type of berry or something

I have a bunch of peppers growing

EDIT: I just found some papaya, avocado, and chiles growing.

UPDATE:

So we went to a local nursery so here is what i have so far

Planted seeds:
yellow summer squash (crook neck)
Zucchini (organic or black beauty)
Acorn Squash
Butternut Squash
Watermelon (crimson something)
Cantaloupe (sierra gold)
Pumpkins (sugar sweet)
Cucumbers (straight 8 i think)
radish
bush beans (blue like 248 or something haha)
Egg plant black beauty
Plants:
x6 Early start tomatoes
x6 Golden bell peppers
X6 Green bell the type starts with a S, straton or something
x6 broccoli

if you want to count them we have green onions growing randomly in the weeds

I plant to hopefully add some more peppers and other types of tomatoes. like red bells, and roma, beefsteak and plum tomatoes. Also like to do some spinach and leaf lettuce I might do hot peppers this year i just have to find a different area to plant them.

UPDATE:

So we went to a local nursery so here is what i have so far

Planted seeds:
yellow summer squash (crook neck)
Zucchini (organic or black beauty)
Acorn Squash
Butternut Squash
Watermelon (crimson something)
Cantaloupe (sierra gold)
Pumpkins (sugar sweet)
Cucumbers (straight 8 i think)
radish
bush beans (blue like 248 or something haha)
Egg plant black beauty
Plants:
x6 Early start tomatoes
x6 Golden bell peppers
X6 Green bell the type starts with a S, straton or something
x6 broccoli

if you want to count them we have green onions growing randomly in the weeds

I plant to hopefully add some more peppers and other types of tomatoes. like red bells, and roma, beefsteak and plum tomatoes. Also like to do some spinach and leaf lettuce I might do hot peppers this year i just have to find a different area to plant them.

LOL. Soon you can sell fresh vegetables to local markets. Thats a good way to make some money in this economy. I should start doing that now.

Haha i could do that, i may be just trying to get a nice stand built up front with a little tip jar or something :), it will all depend on the output and if the season is good, I'll keep you update, post pics once things get going a bit

All right :), got a few more things I'm going to add in tomorrow

red onions
sweet onions
beefsteak tomatoes
roma tomatoes
maybe planting spinach seeds

Hehe, another update :), anyone else have updates???

yesturday, planted ruby red leaf lettuce, and black seeded simpson lettuce. Also fordhook giant swiss chard and red swiss chard.

what has sprouted from last time, pumpkins, radish, winter squash, one zucchini, couple cucumbers

injuries- well i've gotten some blisters, working out there daily :) haha, though plants have also faced some. 2 of my broccolli plants were killed down to one leaf, and one of my green bell peppers was killed down to 2 leaves at the ground. fenced up a little more

pests- noticed tons of ants around the garden so i put out some cornmeal, my grandma said it worked when she put it around the house so hopefully it worked around the garden, i might also put out a thing of beer for slugs, maybe it was slugs and not animals that got my plants?? I just found one that i guess decided to try to eat my plants, but it didn't know that today was going to be hot and sunny so it dried up a few inches away from the plant.

I've got a thornless blackberry on my balcony, as well as seven kinds of mint and a little scrubby rosemary. I'm trying to figure out a way I can do more veggies out there, but my CPs already have most of the space filled... My patio is like half the size of your plot, and we're three stories up. :D
~Joe

The vegetable gardening season is over here for the spring/summer. We can plant more things about September. The only thing that can survive our summer of ungodly heat, humidity, and rain is okra, cherry tomatoes, and sweet potatoes. I'm thinking of trying bush watermelon and cucumbers this fall. I hate the long vines of the regular varieties as they seem to take over everything. For those of you with normal growing seasons - good luck with the produce.

Little update:

tons of stuff are just starting to put out their first true leaves being...summer squash, zucchini, acorn and butternut squash. sugar sweet pumpkins, radish, beans.

gerimantion on newly planted stuff: some lettuce and swiss chard is up, so is the spinach

last planted stuff its late everything is supposed to be in by memorial day here. but the stuff i planted i think should be ok. seeds of. more of all the squash, field pumpkin, and golden gem pumpkin, cucumbers, eggplant, cantaloupe, watermelon hopefully they come up. tomato large red cherry too

hope to possibly get some red bell pepper plants tomorrow, maybe some other things

lost 2 broccolli plants, put out 3 things of beer lol for slugs

not sure what else, pictures should come within the next couple weeks when things start to get a little bigger

Just built the new veggie garden today!
spent pretty much the entire day on it..
last year it was four separate beds:

883169060_CAfC7-O.jpg

(photo from one year ago..four new beds under construction)

This year the four beds, plus the former grass paths inbetween, have all been merged into one giant bed:

883169202_6Ucef-O.jpg

(photo from earlier today!) (there is one thing CP-related in this photo..who can spot it? ;)

The garden is approx 25x25 feet..
around here, you dont plant veggies until Memorial Day weekend..which is right now!
(risk of frost through May..now its safe)

We will be growing:

tomatos
cukes (I made the big pyramid cucumber trellis a few years ago)
One pumpkin vine
acorn squash
lettuce
eggplant
strawberries..

thats probably it..
serious planting commences tomorrow and Monday.

Scot

Just built the new veggie garden today!
spent pretty much the entire day on it..
last year it was four separate beds:

This year the four beds, plus the former grass paths inbetween, have all been merged into one giant bed:

The garden is approx 25x25 feet..
around here, you dont plant veggies until Memorial Day weekend..which is right now!
(risk of frost through May..now its safe)

We will be growing:

tomatos
cukes (I made the big pyramid cucumber trellis a few years ago)
One pumpkin vine
acorn squash
lettuce
eggplant
strawberries..

thats probably it..
serious planting commences tomorrow and Monday.

Scot

Looks great, you planting seeds or plants themselves? we had an extremely early season here, we are also supposed to have things in by memorial day but we had things in a couple weeks back. I think they were going to say its one of the hottest may's we've had

haha is your cp related thing the tote that collects your cp water? haha i have one of those too.

Also set up the greenhouse, well plastic one, inside the larger one which still has to be built. so i might be moving cps out there soon to get them growing better, no i have protection from the animals

here is video of my carnivour deck garden and down to the two raised veggie beds i put in this year.
Tomatoes
big beef,
big rainbow
jet star
supersonic
burpee delicious
brandywine
ferry morris yellow
Beets
Sweet peas. love the edible pods
cucumbers
eight ball zuc. squash
buttercrunch lettuce
red sails lettuce
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lcW0u9i6c40&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lcW0u9i6c40&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Back