What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bodhi Tree (ficus religiosa)

I'm trying to grow some from seed now. It's been about 2 weeks and nothing yet (except a little mold). Anyone had any success with these? What kind of time frame am I looking at for germination? Not sure if the seeds I bought were refridgerated before I got them (I heard that helps), but they are relatively fresh. I'm thinking of removing the plastic sheet from the top if I don't see any results in a week or so to try and get rid of the mold...

where did you get the seeds from? It is possible if you got a fruit that it might not have gotten pollinated. The very specific wasp that pollinated the flowers inside the fruit is not everywhere that the trees grow. Least it haven't gottent o Maui so the fruits that develop here do not have fertile seeds....

where did you get the seeds from? It is possible if you got a fruit that it might not have gotten pollinated. The very specific wasp that pollinated the flowers inside the fruit is not everywhere that the trees grow. Least it haven't gottent o Maui so the fruits that develop here do not have fertile seeds....

I obtained 25 seeds from a company online called EcoOasis. I assume they're viable seeds but I'm not sure. I've got them in 10 seed starter cups.

I've heard the thing about the wasps but I thought I read it pertained to a different species of ficus (??).

I've been told religiosa is difficult to sprout.

There's a site online that sells seedlings so I might have to go that route if this doesn't work out. I'd like to have a few extras to be able to give away or trade though :).

I'll keep you posted. I know you're all on pins and needles :rolleyes:.

On Oahu they are spreading. might need to be eaten by a bird and pooped out to germinate:p Or some similar scarification method.....

Hmmm... that's a good point.

Maybe I'll try to score a few of the seeds with a razor if nothing happens in a couple of weeks. I was going to soak them for 12 hours in water before I layed them in the soil, but they're so darn small I didn't want to think it would be practical. They're about the size of a lettuce seed :-(.

I tried some just placed on top of the soil and some covered by the thinnest layer of starter mix I could manage. Guess I'll just keep misting them to soften up the outer shells ???. The care sheet they came with said they can take from 2 weeks to 6 months to germinate and to be patient. Sheesh...

As I said before another option might be to decrease the humidity after a while, i.e. remove the plastic sheet from the top, but still mist once a day. Maybe it will mimic the more arid conditions they come from with more rapid water evaporation.

Last edited:
Back