What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing some sort of moss

Plucked up some moss from my apartment community's lawn and stuck it in a bowl. The lawn is like soggy 24/7 due to their excessive watering...

Now I hope it will grow and fill it up my floral bowl. ??? I have no clue what type of moss it is, but upon looking at it closer, I think it looks kinda nice.

img1026eh.jpg

img1027a.jpg

img1029ik.jpg

Looks cool, not sure what type it is though. I would toss some 'dew seeds on there and see is they grow well.

Maybe I will, but I do not have sundew seeds yet. Maybe I will soon with that one SASE offer in that one thread. :D

Welcome to the world of Bryophytes! I find mosses and liverworts just as fascinating as the bigger plants we plant in/on them.

Those are nice clumps but I would suggest tearing those into smaller pieces maybe 1" x 2" and placing them randomly around your container, then as they grow they'll just fill in the gaps. It gets you a "full lawn" a bit faster.

Try to keep the temps under 80*F, many temperate outdoor mosses don't like much higher than that. If you've never done moss before beware it may die off but keep watering it & misting daily because it may not really be dead just acclimating but while doing so it can look quite dead.

It is pretty, but it might not be good for sundews. Usually when this sort of moss grows it's because it has nutrients available in the mix, an indication that the mineral levels are too high for many Drosera species to prosper

I have a very similar if not the same moss growing in a few of my Drosera pots. It will pretty much choke your plants. Fortunately it rarely grows back or at least very slowly if you pull it out. It grows into a very dense mat.

looks like the moss i weed out of my pots with tweezers on a weekly basis...

It looks like a Tortula species or a Syntrichia species. There are 15 Tortula species in Colorado. There are 8 Syntrichia species in Colorado, of these one S. ruralis is generally lumped in with Tortula. It is called Tortula ruralis by the USDA. Here is a link to a large image.
http://plants.usda.gov/java/largeImage?imageID=toin7_004_ahp.jpg
It may in fact be this species as this particular species is sold as an aquatic moss in Singapore. However it can handle drought too.
A good substrate to grow it on is 2 parts freshwater sand and 1 part milled peat moss with the substrate depth of about half an inch if you water or mist daily or an inch if you do not. Be sure your container drains off excess water. Provide adequate light for best growth (2-3 hours direct sun) with cool air circulation. I have to use r/o water to keep the one I am growing outside cool.

Back