What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germinating "Loch Ness" Blackberries?

Hey folks I'm getting some "Loch Ness" cv. Blackberry seeds soon, each berry is like 3-4 times the size of a normal BB and it's thornless so the leaves/stems will be good/safe for my critters if I have better luck with it's growth than I did this season.

I was curious if anyone here has germinated this type or other forms of BB and has any tips to pass along such as soil, germination temps, etc.

Never germinated stuff like that, but i do know most berry seeds need to be cleaned real good bec some chemicals in the fruit inhibit germination.
Usually those things get eaten by birds, and clean seeds come out the other end :p

Yes that's true, I clean off the ant-plant berries before sowing but they have awesome germination rates because they go straight from the berry to germination w/o drying out. Germination is almost 100%... I'm gonna be overrun with Myrmercodia echinata! LOL But these will be coming by mail and so will have dried out.

I worked with some Blackberry rootstocks last year and it was not a good year, so for next year I was hoping to have a few nice vigorous plants started from seed this winter. I have a handful of pots of a new thornless raspberry variety coming in the next week or two so the seeds are more an experiment than anything else.

Last edited:
Nice, I think I have that cultivar. I didn't know it was named - my friend just gave it to me because it was climbing over his garage and he didn't want it anymore. The berries are substantially larger than a boysenberry. I'm clueless about preferences... almost killed mine in the summer heat this year. Just don't leave them in a small black plastic pot in the noonday sun and you'll be doing better than me. :p
~Joe

Back