What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moss?

Anyone know how to grow irish moss or yellow scotchish moss? i bought it today from the home depot and it looks cool i would like to try and grow it with some of my CP'S one day maybe and can i grow them inside?

Anyone know how to grow irish moss or yellow scotchish moss? i bought it today from the home depot and it looks cool i would like to try and grow it with some of my CP'S one day maybe and can i grow them inside?

Many kinds of moss are toxic to CPs....the only one that is safe to use is live sphagnum moss.

ok then i won't grow them with my CP'S maybe next to them in a seperet pot so anyone know how to grow them?

Irish Moss is really pretty easy to grow / It's used as a ground cover

It can take part shade to full sun / At least one of the pots I have it growing in {with a vine} is in full sun & the stuff is growing over the sides of the pot
It's pretty hardy & tends to take over if it's happy

The main thing I would worry about is that it gets a gnarly root system & I'd be afraid that it would choke out the roots on something like a Nep if you potted it with one

EOU, just so you know, Irish and Scotch "mosses" are not actually mosses at all just ground covering plants. True mosses do not have such advanced parts as roots, leaves and flowers. With these and the "Babys Tears" plants it works best for me to wet them completely and then let them get nearly dry before soaking again, even going dry doesn't seem to hurt them as much as staying wet. If they stay too moist they seem to gradually disappear, bright light keeps them compact.

do i grow them inside or outside either way i can provide good lighting?

You can grow them either way but frost will probably kill them off.

really the tag that came with it said it would survive down to -30 - -20 F.

Well, then go for it! I grow all my stuff in terrariums so...

Back