What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone ever grow gourds?

joossa

Aklys
I saw some really colorful and attractive looking squash and gourds (decorative) at the pumpkin patch this year. They were really eye catching and have attracted me into growing some colorful varieties.

I'm reading as much as possible before the growing season begins and wanted to know if you guys had any tips on growing them. You guys think they'll do ok here in the desert? Pictures are also welcome!

Thanks! :awesome:

It's possible. I tried squashes and gourds one year but had difficulty because I couldn't provide them with enough depth and moisture in the containers I was using (didn't have a yard to put them in the ground.) Keep in mind that they're very finicky about their taproot; they need a spot where they can root down deep and be undisturbed. One of those crops that might be better directly sown rather than sprouted in advance and transplanted. In your area, a cold frame might help you get started early, and some shadecloth and dripper bottles should help with the intensity of the summer.
Also, watch your fertilizers and composts - by the time the harvest approaches the soil needs to be pretty exhausted. Too many nutrients will make squashes seem really happy and grow like crazy, but then when it's time to set fruit they'll just keep growing leaves.
Best luck - these are really fun plants.
~Joe

Thanks so much for your insight Joe!

I do plan on growing them in the ground. A friend of mine successfully grew medium-sized pumpkins in his back yard in full sun this year, and he lives in my area. So, I'm not too sure how worried I should be about the heat.... I've read that blooms fall off squash/gourds/pumpkins prematurely if it's too hot. We'll see how it goes.

Merry Christmas! :-O

Back