What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amorphophallus konjac Starting To Flower

My Amorphophallus konjac is putting up a flower stalk :boogie:
:banana2: Excited :banana2:
As I wasn't expecting it to flower for at least another year or two

Got it a few years ago as a corm about the size of a nickel
So it's only in its 3rd year of growth

More Pics~ http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/573898394PbxcWv

Last edited by a moderator:
Kool, I love Amorphophallus konjac flowers. I love to invite the neighbors over to smell it. They always stick their nose in and take a deep breath.

Kool, I love Amorphophallus konjac flowers. I love to invite the neighbors over to smell it. They always stick their nose in and take a deep breath.

are you saying these are the flowers that smell of rotting flesh!?
Have heard of, never seen...I am watching this thread anxiously now.
Nice job DETHCHEEZ, those plants look very healthy.

Awesome! How large is the corm you planted that is going to bloom? I have some Sauromatum venosum that I started growing last year but did not bloom yet. The parent corms I have are maybe 2-2.5 inches wide and after digging them up last fall I have babies anywhere between .5-1.5 inches. Just wondered how large yours was for comparison to see if maybe blooming was in my future too, at least for the parent corms...

They have to be about grapefruit size to flower.

Awesome! How large is the corm you planted that is going to bloom? I have some Sauromatum venosum that I started growing last year but did not bloom yet. The parent corms I have are maybe 2-2.5 inches wide and after digging them up last fall I have babies anywhere between .5-1.5 inches. Just wondered how large yours was for comparison to see if maybe blooming was in my future too, at least for the parent corms...

You can see pics of the Amorphophallus konjac corm at~ http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...73898394PbxcWv
It's about the size of a big orange & weighed about 3 1/2lbs

My Sauromatum venosum corms bloomed at 2 1/2 to 3in wide

Good luck with them
Maybe you'll get a flower this year
If not you should next year
The corms get big Fast

are you saying these are the flowers that smell of rotting flesh!?

I have been surprisingly unimpressed by the smell of the various "carrion/corpse flowers". The ones I've had bloom or smelled at the orchid shop all have more or less resembled the vinegar smell of a new rubber halloween mask.

Congrats! Mine started to wake up about 2 weeks ago. My 11 1/2 inch diameter/13 lb. tuber bloomed last spring and shrunk to 8" when I dug it up in the fall. She's just waking up now.

Well it's up to about 27in. tall now / Should be opening soon

Is that plant nothing but a flower?

Ahh, ok. Well on that regard it's gigantic!

I love these. Just got my first small corms this week. BTW, any one ever tell you that you look like a young El Duche from the Mentors ?

BTW, any one ever tell you that you look like a young El Duche from the Mentors ?
Now that's just sick - how do you know about the Mentors? :lol:

Soon you'll be saying you wear an "A.C." shirt and everything! :D

Back on topic awesome plant DC!

Seth Putnam is a good friend of mine. Negative Approach played his wedding. It was awesome ! Here's a pic of the wedding cake.
Nepenthes138

Last edited:
HA HA HA! Awesome! :D

Back