What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to propagate star jasmine?

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
I have a particular star jasmine vine that I would very much like to clone. I could just replace it, but this one has sentimental value - I planted it as a mother's day gift for my mom and she's now moving. We're going to try to uproot it and move it to a friend's house to preserve it, but it's been in the ground for at least 12 years and is likely firmly attached to the apartment building's foundation and the clay soil surrounding it. Even if we successfully extract it, many of the vines are 30 feet or maybe longer so I expect it to struggle.
I've tried making cuttings before but did not have even remote success. Sources online say that it is not difficult to propagate, so likely I was just too slow in getting the cuttings back to my house and into media, but I'm hoping some of you will have tips/experiences to share. Fingers crossed!
Thanks,
~Joe

I love the smell of Jasmine but have never owned one nor tried to root any cuttings but I have tried to root Aristolochia vine cuttings and they did not work out either. Later I read that in the case of Aristolochia the vine should be a "woody" section (i.e. a few years old-tough not the soft new growth).

You could attempt making a cutting of a 6-12" section of old growth treated with maybe Hormonex or Suprerthrive and see if any dormant nodes kick up.

Carnivore12 just suggested that as well. I'll have to chop it back before I uproot it, so I'll try a number of different tissues.
~Joe

Back