What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Desmodium gyrans help needed

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
So I've been growing a Desmodium gyrans or Telegraph plant for a number of months so far. At first my lighting issues kept it from being very happy, because I didn't know how to provide it with bright enough lighting seeing as Winter was in full effect.

Then, I heard it needed a dry dormancy so I gave it that. Now the season is lengthening and I've been watering it well. Now instead of looking like it's on the verge of death it looks like a growing plant, but not a very strong growing plant.

Today was the first day that I was able to see that it's smaller leaves had started moving again. Anyway, moral of the story is: I suspect it could use a repotting.

I can find only scarce and inconsistent information on the web so far and I am wondering if anyone else grows or has grown this amazing plant.

I want to repot it, but I do not know what type of soil it would best appreciate. Should I just re-pot it into standard potting soil like black gold?

Maybe I've grown Carnivores for too long because I am lost as to what to do about substrates that are any more complex than peat, vermiculite and moss. :p

If there is anyone else on TF that grows this plant or that has grown this plant with success, please let me know how you did so.

Thanks!

Well I'll try to help you out the best I can
But please take some of my info. with a grain of salt if you know what I mean / Just putting my 2 cents & experience out there
I started from seed & couldn't find much info. on them myself / Doesn't seem to be much out there

My plant is 3 years old
&
It's Just starting to come back from the winter / Just starting to sprout some new leafs / I keep it outdoors year round

It's potted in a 1gal pot {if I remember currently} it's in a mix of peat, regular potting soil with a little bit of sand added

As far as I know they like
Full sun to part shade
Moist soil as in Don't let it dry out between waterings

Other than that they seem pretty easy to grow

I started mine on my window sill
Moved it to my greenhouse
&
Eventually moved it outdoors {SoCal / Zone 10}

I water it daily & hit it with some MiracleGrow every now & again & it "Seems" to be happy
It's in it's 3rd year of growth & it's still alive & growing / So I take it that it's happy / LOL

Hope that helped some what

DC

Thank you Dethcheez, that helped tremendously!

Any and all experience, good or bad, is needed. So, I think I will repot it and give it some real soil.

Back