What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fresh horseradish for your Roast beef?

• Thread starter Smitty
  • Start date

Smitty

Plant Ninja
Before my horseradish came out of dormacy I had to run out to collect some to make some of my yearly horseradish sauces and marinades. Was a bit behind this year but the cold weather has been helping me out. This is just what I grabbed in 3 handfuls. :)
P1020406.jpg

P1020403.jpg

P1020407.jpg

This stuff is wicked on fish and beef cuts. Also on a nice venison roast!

I will harvest the remainder tomorrow after work and store it until I can get at it. There is a ton out there and I want to thin out the patch so it doesn't go rampant.

That'd make a great addition to the NASC auction... ;)
~Joe

Don't you harvest horseradish in the fall when the flavor is at it's peak ?

Yes of course. I also waded out and grabbed a few this past winter as well while still frozen in the ground. I just didn't make anything in quantities to get through till next fall.

Do you just chop some off and replant it?

I love growing this stuff. It's kind of ugly though. My stick insects used to love the leaves.

@Dooms, Just cut the crown off and set it right back on top of the soil. It will take right off again and produce another root. This stuff thrives if you neglect it.

Cthu- Yeah I think it looks like a weird tobacco plant of some sort.

Out of all the things I'll be looking for at the auctions... never did I think I'd say I had horseradish in the top 3 :)

Very pretty and I'm sure rather tasty as well.

Have you dared to just take a bite out of one like it was a carrot?

I've always been told you can make horseradish in any month that has an R. Don't really care when it's made as long as it makes you sweat !

I likz it with good calamari

omg yummy

Back