What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Moss On Statues / Ideas Needed

• Thread starter DETHCHEEZ
  • Start date
Picked up these 3 statues & thought it would be cool if I could get some moss or some kind of mossy looking green stuff growing on them

They're made out of plaster or a plaster like material & it looks they were painted with that fleck stone stuff

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions???

Thanx
DC

You can mix moss with yoghurt or buttermilk in a blender and then spread it over the statues.
exact recipes can be easily found on google.

You can mix moss with yoghurt or buttermilk in a blender and then spread it over the statues.
exact recipes can be easily found on google.

Sounds like it could have mold issues, but that's very interesting. I'll have to look this up.

and oh man does mixing it with yogurt work....

Buddha ugg.

Nope no ideas it shouldn't be to hard though.

Cheap beer also apparently works too.

Cool, it'll be like your own Ankor Wat! :D

The beer + moss in a blender recipe did not work for me when I tried painting it on decorations inside a terrarium, it just grew cottony mold but outdoors in humid shady conditions it might be OK. I do have a bunch of naturally mossy bricks by my front door that I could ship you some moss from if you wanna pay shipping (if you're in the US that is). Not sure what the bricks are made of so the chemical composition might be far different than the statues but it will be used to growing on stonework.

try using a Chia Pet mix on em'. ???

If they are made of painted plaster as you mentioned,
they will likely eventually crumble apart from the moisture needed to grow moss,
but you can enjoy them in the meantime.

And the buttermilk is indeed what people use when wanting to grow moss on things outdoors.
Good luck with that!

a few years ago i picked up a one ounce packet of "bonsai moss" spores from a local garden nursery. i never ended up using and it eventually got lost but the packet definately had enough spores to last a lifetime. you could try finding something like that

I agree with Growin - the plaster probably won't stand up to moisture very well. And melting plaster might cause a problem in your media. Anyways, Chia seeds were my first thought as well. They can be found at health food stores for sprouting or making teas.

Buddha ugg.

What does this have to do with the thread whatsoever? Nothing, that's what. I'm getting really tired of your snotty, bigoted intolerance. How about acting a little more like your savior and a little less like a troll?
And don't PM me with another cloying apology like last time; I have neither the time nor the patience for hollow platitudes. Your ignorance is only exceeded by your insincerity.
~Joe

Last edited:
Thanx all for the input & suggestions / Appreciate it

Tried growing some Kyoto bonsai moss spores a few years ago that I bought at a fair
Mixed it with buttermilk & all got was a smelly moldy mess / LOL

Guess I'll try a few thing & see what happens
Will post pics if anything exciting happens

Thanx Again
DC

Back