What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Undying Redwood Burl

Thanks again Larry for this cool gift. This thing is SOOOOooooo awesome!!
Already getting tons of new babies coming up. Also stuck some Stylidium in there with it. Eventually I'll add some sundews of some sort. Gonna be a bad @#$!% display in no time.

IMG_8574.jpg

IMG_8548.jpg

IMG_8549.jpg

IMG_8550.jpg

That thing is so cool! So, how exactly does that work/what exactly is it? Is it just new redwood sprouts coming from a piece of living redwood timber? or wha?

I'm going to wait for Larry to chime in here. He'll be able to explain it better than me.

Yeah really what the hell is up with that thing
Really cool whatever it is

Ooo, that's really cool o_O

Its basically a piece of a redwoods trunk that has growth points on it... We have a ton of em on our redwoods out front..
id make a lot of room for that...its gonna explode with growth

How would it fair outdoors year round in a zone 5 I wonder.

or you could make a really nice award winning ancient bonsai with it by the time your 80 :p

Cool burl! Redwoods are pretty much impossible to kill in their native habitat, but I don't think they would be able to survive outside in zone 5. They live along the coast of California and rarely see extremely cold temperatures - think of them as about as cold hardy as a coastal Darlingtonia. They'll be able to withstand brief drops to about 20 degrees and maybe a bit colder than that, but not for weeks on end. Your best bet would be to move it into the garage for winter.

Wish I had a garage.

burls

are just a growth (think goiter) that appears on redwoods from time to time. They are loaded with growth points. With the proper permits, folks harvest these commercially, usually seasonal.
They can be as small as a dime or larger than a truck. Many shapes and sizes make for good choosing when it comes to a display.
Limit the root zone and you can limit the growth. I have one that is many years old that is around 28" tall, bark on the "tree's" and moss all over the burl. requirements are....must stay moist on the bottom, thus a moss mat is best. They may be kept in any shallow tray, dish, bowl etc... Give them strong filtered light, as direct sun can burn the new sprouts easily.
With the size of the display tank you have it in Mass, it should get around 3' tall max.
I purchase all my burls from one man in Hiouchi, I trust him as harvesting honorably with good morals. Most are very cheap in price for the bang you get from them.
If anyone else would like to try growing a redwood...PM me with your addy and size of burl you would like. I can make a run over the border on weekends and fetch them up.

Nicest guy ever.. true story.

update..

IMG_0119.jpg

Mighty fine tree ya got there! lol

Man I have to hack those off my redwood out front every year! I'd love to get my hands on a partial albino burl!

that's really neat mass. Id make a bonsia out of it. There is a redwood called dawn redwood that can grow in zone 5 they grow about a foot foot and a half a year. Deciduous. And the needles are very soft. They also call them dinosaur trees but I hate calling things by their commercialized name

Back