What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ramp cultivation?

Wow B. Never saw this before. I really got to see if I can find ramps here in store. I love the chive/spring onion/shallots family.

IMG_0074.jpg

Main group, seem to be spreading nicely....
Year two

main group seems to be doing a little better than the "fern" group but both seem to be doing well.

Last edited:
Great news Butch. Looking great.

I was in Yonkers, NY last weekend collecting wood stumps and gnarly branches for use in Planted Aquariums with a few folks from the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club. We were on a long stretch of land bordering the Saw Mill River Parkway. Wouldn't you know but I saw large patches of Dog Tooth Violet blooming. Made me think to myself to start looking for Ramps. Bingo, found a very small clump of about 20 plants growing in front of a broken down 10' x 10' field stone foundation. Don't know what was there, but the patch was way too small to harvest. I broke off a leaf tip to taste it and confirm Ramps. Made my mouth water.

Long time since I've been here. Soon after I posted on 10/3, a friend showed me a Ramp patch near his house that is gigantic. All I could see of it was the seed heads with ripened seeds. I'm going to have to estimate the size, but it must have been at least 50 feet square, at least. I harvested a large bunch of the seed heads without even moving more than two feet from a spot. I cleaned them afterwards by rubbing them in my hands to remove the seeds from the seed ball. I blew on the chaff seed mixture in a shallow dish until most of the chaff blew away. I found two living caterpillars about 1/4" long that came out of the seed heads. I don't know what critter eats Ramps, but they were living. Too bad I didn't take a photo.

The seeds are black, not crinkled like leek seeds, and about 1/8" in Diameter. I guess I have about 100 of them. I was going to scatter them in a likely place near me, but I never got it done before the snow and freezes came. Now I think I am going to try and grow them in pots in a cool greenhouse, if my friend can spare some space for me. Otherwise, I'll start some at home and see what happens. I'll be sure to document it and post up what I find.

I gave the seeds to my friend and he sowed them in a professional greenhouse of about 15 acres. I that to say that he knows his seed sowing. Any way, no germination after one month. I suggested putting the flat in the refrigerator. He's done that and I haven't asked yet what happened. I have some seeds still dry in our freezer. I plan to sow some of them to see if they need a cold treatment before germination. Anyone know if they do?

Last edited:
I gave the seeds to my friend and he sowed them in a professional greenhouse of about 15 acres. I that to say that he knows his seed sowing. Any way, no germination after one month. I suggested putting the flat in the refrigerator. He's done that and I haven't asked yet what happened. I have some seeds still dry in our freezer. I plan to sow some of them to see if they need a cold treatment before germination. Anyone know if they do?

yes, and its a little more complicated...

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/hil/hil-133.html

Thanks Butch. So maybe we hit the right procedure without even knowing it. One month trying to germinate in warmth then refrigerator for the flat. Maybe this will get them growing!! I'll have to check in on him. My seeds in the freezer may not work out.

I love Bluegrass. I'd love to go to one of those festivals. I laughed when the contest winner got a bottle of Scope as his prize. Did you notice how they fried the bulb end first without getting the leaves in the oil? Good tip. Thanks for the link. Had a great time watching it. My mouth was watering.

I went on a short 3 mile hike today and discovered a huge patch of ramps maybe 300 feet by 150 feet. If you watched the video on Ramp festivals you saw some very huge ramp patches. What I saw rivals some of them. I didn't have my camera, so I am kicking myself. I also didn't have anything to harvest them. I plan to go back next week and dig up some for a treat. This patch is one I have never seen before. I did see a patch maybe two years ago that is dwarf compared to what I just found. I am amazed. Some of the ramps are growing in between stones and will not be able to be harvested. The patch is about 20 minutes into the hike from a parking site.

I am very glad I brought a hiking stick with me today because the trail crossed a stream a few times and the rocks you cross on were under about 2" of water. We just had a lot of rain and the stream is really running high. I am also glad I had on waterproof hiking boots. Kept my feet dry as I had to place them in the water.

Last edited:
2015 update:

Original bulb plantings thriving.
Inspected planting site last weekend and found 40 or so already waking up.

[video]http://bluegrasscarnivores.com/ramps/2015/IMG_2845.MOV[/video]
http://bluegrasscarnivores.com/ramps/2015/IMG_2843.JPG

In addition, last fall I sowed over 1k seed in another site that I had picked out on the edge of my property.
Ramp seed are famous for low germination and requiring both a cold and warm period to germinate.
I wasn't sure I would find any signs of life.

I did find a few sprouts though :-O
http://bluegrasscarnivores.com/ramps/2015/IMG_2846.JPG

Last edited:
WEEDS!!!! QUICK GRAB THE ROUNDUP! :spazz:

omg....:ohno:

hmmm think im catching a cold, naughty cold germ

Wow bungs back memory's for me my dad and Grandfather would have me and my brothers dong these I still see them around I my grandfather made a leek dip out of them and ppl loved it. They always told me don't eat these and go to school lol smell up the hole place

jwalker, dig some and have ya a big mess hehehehehe

Where I'm at people are unfamiliar with them, just not something you see here.
I'm just outside their historical habitat, but so far they seem happy.

I have yet to observe one of mine in bloom though. I need to put survey markers up but I'm a little afraid that will attract attention to them.
I'm assume they probably are, and if they are setting seed, then I think they'll be ok long term.

Also looked for my two fiddlehead ferns, but didn't see them (could have been walking all around them).

Last edited:
I not think the flowers last long you'll see a brown spike with 3 or 4 little balls at the end

While mine are not to the point of being able to harvest, a dear friend in North Carolina sends me some every year :hail:

Dinner tonight was Angus Rib-eye with fresh Ramps
IMG_3002.JPG

nomnomnomnom :-O

Went and dug sum leaks today and thought a picture might help you

My dad also said that this time of year there at there hottest

2015 update:

Original bulb plantings thriving.
Inspected planting site last weekend and found 40 or so already waking up.

[video]http://bluegrasscarnivores.com/ramps/2015/IMG_2845.MOV[/video]
http://bluegrasscarnivores.com/ramps/2015/IMG_2843.JPG

In addition, last fall I sowed over 1k seed in another site that I had picked out on the edge of my property.
Ramp seed are famous for low germination and requiring both a cold and warm period to germinate.
I wasn't sure I would find any signs of life.

I did find a few sprouts though :-O
http://bluegrasscarnivores.com/ramps/2015/IMG_2846.JPG

Figured its about time. I'm getting hungry for some. I found a patch in Northern NJ nearby. Need to go liberate a few.

Good to see your seeds have sprouted. Keep it up. Plant more and more.

Mine are starting to yellow, so it's nearing the end of the season here but woohoo.... I see flower stalks coming up!!

Last edited:
Back