What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone grow Hippeastrum (AKA Amaryllis)?

Do any of you grow Hippeastrum (or Amaryllis)?
I currently have a ton, and have created several hybrids of my plants. I currently have 40 or so seed grown ones from well over 100. I've let drought and rot take these, to make plants even easier to care for.
These seedlings are of various crosses of NOIDS from big-box stores and 1st generation hybrids I made of these plants 4 or 5 years ago.
I cannot wait to see what they will grow into.

I gave up on them accept as disposable plants. No matter whose advice I followed, never could get one to rebloom.

I just checked them out on Google Images and these plants look truly spectacular. Do they grow as houseplants or are they hardy and able to grow outside? Where can I get one? :boogie:

You can grow them both outside and inside.
You can get them at stores like Home Depot and supermarkets during wintertime.
They are sold as "Amaryllis".

To get them to rebloom, you just stick it outside after it starts growing leaves.
It will not rebloom until the next year.
Bring them in and protect them from cold weather, which triggers the sprouting of blooms...
They are fairly simple to bloom over and over again, just don't expect more than one stalk of flowers each year, as most varieties do not produce that without fertilization during the growing season.
They start their growth cycle by blooming, then they grow leaves, and after a while, they go dormant, then bloom again when they wake up.

So far I am having success growing them indoors, I have the common 'minerva' and the newer 'White dazzler'. Surprisingly, they aren't hardy; in their native habitat, they grow in a tropical area with a dry period to help them form flower buds. They don't actually need a dormant period, and I read that some sp. will die with dormancy-_-

I just checked them out on Google Images and these plants look truly spectacular. Do they grow as houseplants or are they hardy and able to grow outside?

Depends on your zone. I'm not familiar enough with the year round climate in Sacramento. If your zone 9 or 10 then I believe you would be about to grow it outside year round. Bman would know better than I.

They are fairly simple to bloom over and over again,

Don't rub it in Bman! I've never been able to do so.

xj1fI73.jpg

I have 2 plants that I've had for 3 years now.
Bananaman, how long do they take from seed before they bloom?

Back