What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A favorite summer plant

DragonsEye

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite!
Amorphophallus riverii 'Konjac'
The tuber of mine haven't gotten big enough to flower, but that's okay -- I can wait. I grow them more as foliage plants anyway. Love the "tree-like" look of the leaf.

That plant looks like it belongs in a Dr. Seuss book or something. I like it. I would like to grow amorphos, but my parents would complain about the smell! LOL

that's pretty cool..
I keep killing my summer plants.

Cool looking plant.

I like it. I would like to grow amorphos, but my parents would complain about the smell! LOL

Not a big deal. Typically the tuber has to get about the size of a softball before being big enough to bloom and it takes years to get that size, which means years of enjoying the plant itself first. And even then, there is no reason you HAVE to let it bloom. I got my original bulb years ago from the parents of a buddy of mine. They let theirs bloom the first time just to see what the stench was like. Now they just cut off any bloom spikes and continue to grow them as foliage plants.

that's pretty cool.. I keep killing my summer plants.

These are about as close to "idiot proof" as a plant can get, Travis. :)

Not a big deal. Typically the tuber has to get about the size of a softball before being big enough to bloom and it takes years to get that size, which means years of enjoying the plant itself first. And even then, there is no reason you HAVE to let it bloom. I got my original bulb years ago from the parents of a buddy of mine. They let theirs bloom the first time just to see what the stench was like. Now they just cut off any bloom spikes and continue to grow them as foliage plants.

Ok, cool! Now I'm gonna look for tubers!

Just wait til Autumn. I gave away a bunch of corms last fall and will likely have more this fall. Things throws babies like tribbles.

Cools stuff! I've been dying to grow this one. Thanks for sharing. :)

Don't know how many I'll have come fall until I dig the corms up, but usually I wind up with at least 6-10. So shouldn't be a problem to take care of several people's "needs". :D

Back