What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pawpaws are getting ripe...

• Thread starter Av8tor1
  • Start date
I have a bunch this year....
Deer will get most of them, only thing I ever do with them is give them away and maybe make pawpaw bread.

You shake the tree and cover your head, any that are ripe will fall to the ground.
What I picked up from earlier today:
pawpaw.jpg

Av

Cool beans, Butch.

Can you . . . ferment them?

I honestly think they ferment on the ground, sometimes the deer seem quite intoxicated....
I know they smell like they ferment LOL

What do they taste like and are they easy to grow from seed/take cuttings from/etc.?

hmmmm hard to describe, most people say the remind them of a Banana but not as sweet...

they are an "understory" tree and require a male and female tree I think.... I probably have 20 or so trees in this one patch on my farm
the fruit are mostly seed (large seed)

in cooking you use them like you would a banana (e.g., banana bread = pawpaw bread)
very short shelf life... similar to a banana in that respect too

want some?

Same family as soursop, cherimoya, atemoya, iirc. Anonaceae. Makes the fruits hard to describe until you have had one.

Need to find one that likes low chill areas.

ill send ya some seed if you want mach

Might be interesting. But might work out better from further south populations. Wonder if they are in AL or LA

from the maps, yes... but don't know who to tell ya to approach

I never see the fun stuff in the local markets. The fun stuff doesn't ship well.

You have 20 trees? Wow.

hmmmm hard to describe, most people say the remind them of a Banana but not as sweet...

they are an "understory" tree and require a male and female tree I think.... I probably have 20 or so trees in this one patch on my farm
the fruit are mostly seed (large seed)

in cooking you use them like you would a banana (e.g., banana bread = pawpaw bread)
very short shelf life... similar to a banana in that respect too

want some?

Most definitely.

Never had the opportunity to try them. Wish they'd show up at a farmer's market so I could pick up one or two to try.

I have always wanted to try some of those!
Could ship me some?
I will pm you about it! :D

I've had all kinds of people PM me wanting some, so Im afraid Ive got more request than I can fill now, but Im sure I could find you some seed if you want Kahn

There are a few on the ground the deer have already taken a bite out of, could snag some seed from those for you.

Just let me know

hehehe I do love brulee :)

Most of you should have gotten your pawpaws today....
remember... they should be slightly soft when ripe

enjoy, they are only available for about 3 weeks each year
If you want to plant the seed, see this: http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/pawpaw/ppg.htm

Ask Brian

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/02ONo5ooTWg?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back