What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bought a house! Inherited Apple and plum trees

• Thread starter Odysseus
  • Start date
I am wearing my big boy pants now, and like any big boy should do, I got myself into a tremendous amount of debt and bought a house!

Love the house, it actually came with a large yard and a room that even my wife calls my "Plant Room"! More to come on that later... :D

In that awesome yard are some pretty well kept Apple and Plum trees that were not pruned this year yet. Neighbor says they used to be done every February but this year it didn't happen.

http://s39.photobucket.com/user/_Odysseus/library/Fruit Trees

Anyone have any advice for pruning Apple and plum trees? Should I do it still this year?

Thanks in advance!

Congrats!

Private album :(

Congrats on the new place--can't wait to see photos.

http://www.wikihow.com/Prune-Apple-Trees

It's simple once you get the hang of it. If the trees were regularly pruned (and pruned correctly!) by the other folks it should be a piece of cake. Make sure you stay on top of the vertical suckers and chop em all off each year. They add significant weight/stress to the limbs if you allow them to grow.

Oh crud! Sorry, I didn't realize the new album would be created as private!

I think I fixed the album now, but just in case I didn't:

These aren't great pictures, because the trees blend in with the neighbors trees behind them and it was near nightfall and so not very focused, but they will work. Tomorrow I will get some better images to put up.

00b3be7ea617596f37a4e34f855086b5_zpsc81bd5f5.jpg

d8467c642b62174505c3e8a9b4150ff6_zpsbf023e93.jpg

d8cfa1fdf205d6c0ae32c5d7907f4283_zpsd63236d6.jpg

6f26f9e11c851f4f62ee638a9badc18c_zps616da115.jpg

82380ee5bb2e370db3a3a876773ae167_zpsda59ffca.jpg

Don't waste the trimmings! Two of the very best woods for smoker/bbq use.

i trimmed my apple trees 2 weeks ago. right before they bloomed. do you have blossums? if so might want to wait.

Yeah blossoms on the plum trees have come and gone and the Apple trees are in full bloom right now.

Looks like I definitely need to wait for this year. Thanks guys for the advice!

I do look forward to some applewood smoked bacon...that someone who knows can make me XD

Sit under the apple trees with a bottle of wine when the blossoms fall and be happy you're alive. An impromptu dance to glorify nature would be appropriate.

LOL Nothing is glorified when I dance. XD

But seriously...sitting in my new backyard does provide that kind of pensive moment when I can reflect on the beauty of being alive and living in a country safe from war and many ugly realities out there.

Sit under the apple trees with a bottle of wine when the blossoms fall and be happy you're alive. An impromptu dance to glorify nature would be appropriate.

Well said.

Back