Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: First opportunity at a garden

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm, mine took 10F this year, got bombed with rain and never flinched. Full north exposure too. The only herb I lost I think was a sage but that was my own dumb fault.

I wouldn't want to live in a place where Rosemary dies. Lol.

I forgot about tomatoes, but they are said to be able to take pretty extreme cold if you plant it very deeply and let the whole stalk root. It's one of the few veggies you can do that with.
    Last edited by Gigantea; 06-01-2014 at 12:28 PM.

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantea View Post
    I forgot about tomatoes, but they are said to be able to take pretty extreme cold if you plant it very deeply and let the whole stalk root. It's one of the few veggies you can do that with.
    Not here in the Great White North, you can't. Same with rosemary here. As Subrosa mentioned, what passes for winter cold in Texas is a far cry from what we experience.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantea View Post
    Hm, mine took 10F this year, got bombed with rain and never flinched. Full north exposure too. The only herb I lost I think was a sage but that was my own dumb fault.

I wouldn't want to live in a place where Rosemary dies. Lol.

10F? My plants took 10F or lower every night for almost a week straight, and during that time daytime temps never got out of the low 20s. Not to say that it really gets cold around here, because it really doesn't. But it's cold enough that I was ecstatic each spring when that Rosemary came back. I wouldn't want to live where I can't grow Honey Berries!
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234