What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First opportunity at a garden

I would not jump on the granulate lime Kevin suggested without first having your soil tested to make sure it is actually needed.

Weed control:
You can also lay down thick cardboard or a layer of newspaper several layers thick to help smother weeds. (Newspaper will require getting wet down. The cardboard is particularly useful for your walkways between rows of plants.

There is a composting method referred to as lasagna gardening which may be of interest. You can do a search and read a bit about it here: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/soil/
(This method also can help cut down on weeds.) Cow or horse manure definitely does wonders for tomatos. Keep in mind though, that it should not be used "fresh". You will want either aged manure or to put fresh manure down in the fall so it can age over the course of the winter.

Many municipalities have free compost available. Do keep in mind that pretty much ANY compost obtained will likely have weed seeds in it. Just goes with the territory.

When choosing tomato plants, do keep in mind how long your growing season is. Some varieties take a fair bit longer to produce mature fruit than others. (Typically, cherry or grape tomato types have the shortest time to harvest.)

Both tomato and pepper plants typically enjoy lots of sun and heat. (If you were down south I'd have to qualify that statement a bit.)

Most veggie plants will not be hardy in you zone so a relatively moot point.

Bug control
Safest method is catch-n-squish. :D
Aphids, beetles, some types of caterpillars will be you most likely pests. Some like the "tomato horn worm" are large caterpillars but do morph into large interesting moths (look up sphinx or hummingbird moths). Setting aside a few sacrificial plants for them can be cool. (They greatly enjoy dill as well.)
There are substances like Neem oil that can be effective deterents.

Many plants such as tomatoes or melons/cukes can be space hogs if you let them. Cages or staking can help greatly and if floor space is really tight, melons/cukes can be trellised.

Dracunculus vulgaris should definitely be hardy in your area. Just don't plant it anywhere near an open window or porch. heh

Last edited:
I bet Dill will grow for you, Rosemary too. Those just basically laugh at cold. Though the Dill struggles when it's hot.

I bet Dill will grow for you, Rosemary too. Those just basically laugh at cold. Though the Dill struggles when it's hot.
Rosemary might laugh at what passes for cold in TX, but it doesn't find our weather here in the NE very amusing! I've had only one plant survive more than a single winter, one I planted 7 years ago. It was located in an ideal microclimate, on the south side of my house at the point in the inside corner formed by the intersection of my asphalt driveway and my black slate patio. And this past winter did that one in.

Rosemary might laugh at what passes for cold in TX, but it doesn't find our weather here in the NE very amusing! I've had only one plant survive more than a single winter, one I planted 7 years ago. It was located in an ideal microclimate, on the south side of my house at the point in the inside corner formed by the intersection of my asphalt driveway and my black slate patio. And this past winter did that one in.
I have had the same experience with Rosemary. It just doesn't like my Canadian winters. Yet, somehow, tomatoes, sage, oregano, and all my alliums survived the winter.

Hm, mine took 10F this year, got bombed with rain and never flinched. Full north exposure too. The only herb I lost I think was a sage but that was my own dumb fault.

I wouldn't want to live in a place where Rosemary dies. Lol.

I forgot about tomatoes, but they are said to be able to take pretty extreme cold if you plant it very deeply and let the whole stalk root. It's one of the few veggies you can do that with.

Last edited:
I forgot about tomatoes, but they are said to be able to take pretty extreme cold if you plant it very deeply and let the whole stalk root. It's one of the few veggies you can do that with.

Not here in the Great White North, you can't. Same with rosemary here. As Subrosa mentioned, what passes for winter cold in Texas is a far cry from what we experience. ;)

Hm, mine took 10F this year, got bombed with rain and never flinched. Full north exposure too. The only herb I lost I think was a sage but that was my own dumb fault.

I wouldn't want to live in a place where Rosemary dies. Lol.

10F? My plants took 10F or lower every night for almost a week straight, and during that time daytime temps never got out of the low 20s. Not to say that it really gets cold around here, because it really doesn't. But it's cold enough that I was ecstatic each spring when that Rosemary came back. I wouldn't want to live where I can't grow Honey Berries!:grin:

Back